+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help my start my firstplace please!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by welling service View Post
    I just worked on a fire place very similar to this one and the little box you are referring to has a switch with off, remote and manual positions.
    You may be on to it. I don't do any but thought it may be something easy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HBH2 View Post
    Will do when I get home, don't know why I didn't take one last night. There are no buttons on it basically wires going in, wires going out.
    I hope its that easy, but it could be something that I overlooked.........I hope! I'll follow up when I get home. Thanks for all your help guys.

Post Likes
    Well unfortunately there where no knobs on the little box, ill post pics in the morning. The box was warm to the touch so I know it's got juice. Turned on the main gas, bottom gas, on switch, flipped the wall switch and nothing not even a click.

Post Likes
    Well it was pretty frustrating yet again for another night.

Here is the pic you guys requested, thanks for all your help.

Post Likes
    Turn your gas on, flip the switch on, turn the wall switch on. when you do that it should begin sparking at the pilot, if it doesn't the module could be bad, the wall switch could be bad and/or you are getting no power to the module.

Post Likes
    oops missed the second page, the last picture is a transformer, that powers the valve. the brown wire that runs in the side of the firebox on the last picture, where does that hook up?

Post Likes
    My guess is the brown wire goes to the wall switch, the transformer is warm to the touch so I am pretty sure its getting electricity.

Post Likes
    Any tips of how to diagnose the problem?

If its not strait forward, who do I call to come look at my fireplace? A plumber, electrician, doctor........?

Post Likes
    yes, I know the brown wire goes to the wall switch, but where does it hook up to the fireplace. Make sure those connections are good. As for calling a professional, look up your closest fireplace dealer. some brand names you can look up for the dealers are, Heat n Glo, Monesson, Superior, Peterson...etc. Just look up those for a dealer near you and call them for service, alot of dealers will service other brands.

Post Likes
    The brown wire connects to the small box (whats the small box called?) only and then goes to the switch.

Post Likes
    Knowing its a smart valve it probably only needs the plug jiggled.

Post Likes
    Which one is the smart valve? Is it the honeywell one that with the on/off button?

Post Likes
    Which one is the smart valve? Is it the honeywell one that with the on/off button?
    Ya, they are well known for being junk, it may have died awhile ago and they didn't say anything. They also won't open the pilot valve if the ignitor is bad, just call someone and have them make sure it's safe and cleaned up

Post Likes
    So that being said should I just replace it? I figure if I'm going to have someone come to "look" at it will be at least 100 buck, how much does the part cost?

Post Likes
    So that being said should I just replace it? I figure if I'm going to have someone come to "look" at it will be at least 100 buck, how much does the part cost?
    You can't just replace it and think it will work, I'm just taking a wild guess based on a part that has had issues, it dosen't mean its bad. You need one special tool to change the gas valve that insures its safely operating, you should not change it it's not worth your family's safety.

Post Likes
    HBH2 Joehvac25 is giving you good advice. If you don't know what you are doing than don't try to repair it yourself. You can create a deadly situation.

Post Likes
    This has already gone beyond this forum and getting towards DIY. Unfortunately, you really need to get a qualified professional to inspect and service it. We can not give you step by step DIY advice on this forum. You need to find the rating plate indicating the mfr., model and serial # then use this to locate a pro. FYI, in a typical Intermittent Pilot Ignition, turning on the switch energizes the control causing sparking at the pilot and gas flow only to the pilot. Within a second or two, the module should sense the presence of a flame and only then send gas to the main burner.

Thx

Post Likes
    Figured I'd post and update.

I have been playing with it off and on since my last post. Still nothing!!! Figured its time to fork over the $150 to have someone come look at it and probably spend another few hundred to get it running.

So its been really cold down here in SoCal and my wife thought I forgot the chimney opening open so she went to go close it. When she did, the pilot light automatically turned on. Turns out she actually opened the chimney.

Figured someone could learn from my silly mistake. If you are going to work on your fireplace make sure the chimney is OPEN!

Finally, a working fireplace!

Post Likes
    That's good, obviously an added safety

Post Likes
    Glad to hear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in