Unusual damper problem

I have unusual spring-open dampers that use a length of notched plastic ribbon that winds around a spool where the damper motor (a Synchron) connects (see pic). Each damper blade has its own return spring (behind the orange plastic). The end of the plastic ribbon broke and the damper is now stuck in the open position.

The contractor that installed the system in 2008 is no longer in business. Another contractor that came to take a look said he'd never seen anything like this and proposed to replace the entire damper. This seems like overkill as everything but the small plastic ribbon is working fine so I'm hoping someone here can recognize the design or manufacturer so I pass this info to the contractor.

Also, should I be looking for another contractor? He didn't want to spend any time trying to figure out how/where to find a replacement part.

Thanks,
    Tobin
    Attached Images Attached Images  

they are available i just ordered 5 of them.find a contractor that knows what they're doing.

That's what I thought. I've talked to two other contractors in the Boston area and neither of them has seen anything like this. Any ideas on how to find a contractor who does know this system? Thanks!

i bought the original dampers from Lennox as part of a system i installed 4 1/2 years ago.
    after some research my Lennox counter guy was able to find them.
    Dampers had no name or numbers on them so i'm not sure who even made them for Lennox.
    what brand is your equipment and zoning system?

Furnace & control are Lennox so this makes a lot of sense. It was installed about 5 years ago which also fits with your experience.

find a Lennox dealer and have him get a hold of tech support, its not a Lennox part but they can get it for him.
    where are you located?

just reread your op and saw Boston area, Lennox has dealer locator on their web site.