Thread: Heat n Glo?

Heat n Glo?

Overall I have heard good things about Heat n Glo but want to get some firsthand reviews and experiences before I make a purchase. Specifically, I am looking for a gas fireplace that runs well and is fairly affordable. I know that you almost always get what you pay for I'm just looking for the best bang-for-buck. Here is the page I have been looking at: HeatnGlo Gas Fireplaces. Any reviews or firsthand experiences will be much appreciated. Thank you!

As with most brands, some of their fireplaces are better than others and some are a mess. Start with locating a reputable dealer who can service and support whatever brand you choose. Then you can look at models, features and benefits.

I retrofitted a heat & glo insert fireplace into an old woodburning fireplace with chimney 8 years ago. I ran the exaust/air intake up the chimney and installed a roofcap. I have had some problems. Im on my 3rd gas valve solenoid, and now Im pretty sure the gas valve itself now is stuck closed. This system has a standing pilot (always lit) which I would not recommend. The only reason I chose this insert was that it was the only one that would fit the old firebox opening, and provide all the functions that the homeowners requested, which it does. I would choose a peizo or intermittant/sparking ignition if I had my choice. Also, this system has a remote control, which complicates the mech function. the manual version has no solinoid. I dont have any experience with competing brands, so I dont know if these issues are common to other makes, but it could be that all gas fireplaces with remotes will have similar issues over time. Its a beautiful fireplace with a blower (a definate plus) and the homeowners love it, but there are downsides. Im a believer that simple is better. Hope this helps

As an adendum to my earlier post, I would also recommend a vented fireplace. I just don't like the idea of a heat source pulling oxygen from the room, and dumping the combustion gasses back. The new vent free systems are much more efficient, and the combustion is supposed to be clean, but...I would install a carbon monoxide monitor in any case