Thread: Loud clacking sound on Carrier Infinity Furance during call for heat

Post Likes

Loud clacking sound on Carrier Infinity Furance during call for heat

I've tried researching the topic but have not had any luck and so hoping someone may shed some light on the issue (or hopefully non-issue).

2 1/2 years ago I moved into our new home which also has a Carrier Infinity furnace. I had an installer add an Infinity thermostat as well. This winter (and last winter) I've noticed that when there is a call for heat, the system goes through it's pre-cycle and then before the actual circulating fan kicks up to a higher speed there is a noticeably loud clack. It occurs frequently and is actually a little annoying (and partially distressing).

I complained to the builder while we were in warranty, and the tech from the installation company said the noise was normal, yet I've never heard a Furnace make such a noticeably loud noise and I'm a little dubious from previous experience with my builder (and subcontractors).

If I had to describe the sound, it's almost like a valve slamming shut (or perhaps a large solenoid clacking shut), but I honestly don't know as I'm not a tech. I'm stuck between my paranoia and calling a third party company out only to concur with what the builders company says (spending money) vs. leaving it and encountering a more serious issue.

As a note, there is an Air Exchanger installed as well that I leave running 24/7 on low and the noise does not occur during the summer with our AC.

In the end, is it normal for the Carrier Infinity Furnaces to have a louder then usual heating cycle?

Thanks for any help / input.

Post Likes
    I'm not sure if this is of any value - the clacking sound is noisiest on the second floor through the air return vent in my office.

Post Likes
    I'd call a reputable Carrier dealer to come check it out. Its' overall a good idea to have your furnace serviuces anually to check any operating issues before winter.

My best guess would be it's related to the gas valve and/or flame ignition. The valve itself usually isn't very loud. But the "whoosh" of the flame lighting can be a little noisy, especially if maybe draft is marginal or maybe gas pressure isn't set correctly. My Infinity furnace is in the attic and the only think I hear is the hum/vibration of the inducer fan. I can't hear the flam light-off or the gas valve.

If it's happeneing jsut before the blower comes on, that's probably the point where the gas valve switches back down to low fire. The furnace always lights off on high stage and then warms the heat exchanger for a short period before turning on the blower and cycling down. FWIM, Low fire with a cold heat exchanger can cause condensation in the primary heat exchanger and draft issues with low air velocity over the cold surface, that's why they start out on high stage wth the blower off. It's similar ot hte reason that your car 's engine runs at a high idle when it's cold.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    I'd call a reputable Carrier dealer to come check it out. Its' overall a good idea to have your furnace serviuces anually to check any operating issues before winter.

My best guess would be it's related to the gas valve and/or flame ignition. The valve itself usually isn't very loud. But the "whoosh" of the flame lighting can be a little noisy, especially if maybe draft is marginal or maybe gas pressure isn't set correctly. My Infinity furnace is in the attic and the only think I hear is the hum/vibration of the inducer fan. I can't hear the flam light-off or the gas valve.

If it's happeneing jsut before the blower comes on, that's probably the point where the gas valve switches back down to low fire. The furnace always lights off on high stage and then warms the heat exchanger for a short period before turning on the blower and cycling down. FWIM, Low fire with a cold heat exchanger can cause condensation in the primary heat exchanger and draft issues with low air velocity over the cold surface, that's why they start out on high stage wth the blower off. It's similar ot hte reason that your car 's engine runs at a high idle when it's cold.
    Thanks for the additional information - I pulled the cover off last night to see if I could distinguish what part of the unit the noise came from - naturally it didn't do it. I know what you mean by the condensation, a measureable amount drains out at the beginning of the cycle. Oddly enough it hasn't done it for the last 12 hours - the only difference is that I had turned off the main switch for about 5 minutes last night. Seems like I reset something. I don't think it's the flame lighting because it's a fair clear "clack" sound, like a valve snapping shut. Someone mentioned to me recently it might be the damper?

Post Likes
    Could be the air filter pulling to when the blower starts or switches to a higher speed. Check for slop in the filter holder.

Post Likes
    okey dokey

Post Likes
    Are you using a pleated (accordian) air filter? If so, switch to the cheaper non-pleated filter and see if the noise goes away. The restrictive filter could be getting sucked against the furnace because of the restrictive filter.

Post Likes
    Thanks everyone for replying.

1. I am using a pleated accordian filter. It's a 5" filter that was installed afterwards by a Carrier installer

Two things I noted while listening.
    1. Standing infront of the unit I hear a loud click just before the exhaust fan starts up, though I'm not sure if this is what I hear 2 floors up.

2. The humidifer is on the cold air return - and that is where I often hear the loud clack. However, I checked the humidifier immediately after I heard the loud clack again and it was not running and the furnance was just starting the heating cycle (so I don't think it was the selinoid shutting off).

Post Likes
    I wonder if a section of shweetmetal on the return wasnt cross braked or is otherwise making noise as it pulls inward under the vacuum in the duct.

I bet a good pro could isolate and identifynthe sound pretty quick. Not much substitute for field experience. I love being in a meeting in a control room talking to someone near a industrial process at work, and suddenly everyone will stop and be like, whats that. Just a shift in a sound or vibration and they know something isnt right. In the really old processes... those installed before even pnematic controls were available, they run some parts of it by sound and feel alone. Lots of settings and adjust,ments are still completly manual and would be almost impossible to automate reliably.

Sent from my SGPT12 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    I wonder if a section of shweetmetal on the return wasnt cross braked or is otherwise making noise as it pulls inward under the vacuum in the duct.

Oil canning.

Post Likes
    Your clacking sound is the humidifier relay energizing, which is probably mounted in the blower compartment. We use a quiet relay called a rib relay, call a reputable company to fix your problem

Post Likes
    Thanks everyone for the responses. Based on the suggestions and information, I was able to determine a better idea of when and where the loud clunk / bang occurs. I thought as well the humidifier might be the culprit so I disconnected it completely to which no difference was made. When there is a call for heat, the small exhaust fan turns on for about 5-10 seconds. After that, the loud clunk happens. Oddly enough, you can feel it in the floor immediately above the furnace

Additionally, the clunking dissipates when I do a hard shut off (which I did to disconnect the humidifier) and then comes back a day or so later. This makes me think it wouldn't be oil canning as the hard shut off shouldn't make a difference either.

That being said, is there some kind of damper or valve that opens / closes at the beginning of a heat cycle? if so, is it something that can go bad and start clanking?

I truly appreciate the information.

Regards,

Post Likes
    Maybe it's not igniting properly and the clank is related to the furance ignition.

Typical sequence of operations:

Inducer fan purges starts to purge the HE and vent pipes and the ignitor warms up. (this probably takes about 5-10 seconds) If the pressure switch is satisfied, the gas valve opens and the flame ignites. If the roll out switch and flame sensor are satisfied, then the gas valve stays open on Hi for most 2 stage and medium-hi for a modulating. After a heat exchanger warm up period (to prevent condensation in the primary cast iron exchanger) and to save electricity (usually 15-20 seconds) the blower comes on. If calling for low stage, the gas valve will stage down. While running, the pressure switch, flame roll-out, flame sensor and high limit switch all need to stay satisfied.

Post Likes
    I wonder if the gas line size is marginal (high velocity) and isn't supported well, so when it open, it hammers/vibrated. Anyone seen that happen before?

Post Likes
    I'm pretty sure it's not the gas valve as there is at least 20-30 seconds between that and the firing of the burners.

Is there some kind of valve connected to the inducer fan for taking in fresh air and exhausting gas? The the first part is I just can't figure out why the noise goes away for 24 hours after I turn off / on the main power supply.

I stood infront of the furnace today after engaging a heat cycle and the clunk is more like a very loud click (which is odd) which makes me think that whatever it is, is being amplified by the cold air return *argh*, but I can't figure out how or why the air intake / exhaust valve would make such a loud nosie through the cold air return.

Post Likes
    The only other click I can thjink of is the ignitor relay, but I didnt think it was very loud.

Post Likes
    The only other click I can thjink of is the ignitor relay, but I didnt think it was very loud.

I had a visit from an authorized carrier service rep and he took at look at the unit. He noted that it was unusual and noted to me that it was a "throttle valve." It the sequence I can say for sure it starts before the igniter glows and lights the flame and I can hear a separate valve for the gas. This happens during the warm up process. I'm waiting for a call for the part to come in - has anyone has an issue with this part before?

Post Likes
    Are you turning your heating humidity down to nothing on the infinity control while you hear this noise. When you have a humidity demand, the infinity energizes the hum terminal, which in turn energizes the relay.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger man View Post
    Are you turning your heating humidity down to nothing on the infinity control while you hear this noise. When you have a humidity demand, the infinity energizes the hum terminal, which in turn energizes the relay.
    I tried turning the humidity request all the down (even disconnected the humidifier itself) and the issue still occurred. (note I keep the humidity level at "auto" to the outdoor temperature). Granted, the clacking was there as well when I had the entry level honeywell in the house as well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in