+ Reply to Thread

Thread: r12 refrigerator pressures

Post Likes

r12 refrigerator pressures

Hey guys , new here, usually in residential tech area.... I have an older refrigerator that is not cooling. Why are there 3 tubes coming off the compressor, 2 to the condensor and the third to the evaporator. I put a line tap to check the pressures but don't know what the low side should be. What should the equalized pressure be at ambient 70 F?
    THanks
    Greg

Post Likes
    unknown. Depends on how much R12 is in the system. Is the comp running?

Post Likes
    One of the two into condenser isn't a process stub?
    Maybe looks as if going to condenser?
    Just a thought!
    Pull charge and weigh in with adequate replacement!

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by welling service View Post
    unknown. Depends on how much R12 is in the system. Is the comp running?
    Yeah, start here first!

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

Post Likes
    Look at your PT chart for R12. It holds the answers to your questions.

The pressure at 70ºF should be obvious.

Then think about how a typical domestic refrigerator works and what temperature the evaporator must be to achieve 0ºF to keep your ice cream frozen.

Post Likes
    compressor is running, was wondering what design low pressure should be, can see a fourth tube that is stubbed off, sorry, not thinking cause I do have a pressure chart so.... 0 degrees for freezer looks like around 9 PSI for evaporator, ambient 70 degrees around 70 PSI. No cool evaporator line on compressor so I can't see any other problem other than low charge, fans working, when I finally got tap in place, about 50 PSI and pulled down to 0 PSI when running.
    Thanks for your help

Post Likes
    I did appliance repair a long, long time ago and if memory serves you could be looking at an oil cooler. Seems the compressor oil cooling was a small circuit routed through the static condenser, but it should have a return line into the compressor. Look again, are you sure there isn't another tube?
    As far as suction side pressures listen to icemeisters advice, but seems self defrost models, R-12 would typically run around 3 lbs and manual defrost types would be a little higher, like 6 or 7 lbs.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thecarpenter View Post
    compressor is running, was wondering what design low pressure should be, can see a fourth tube that is stubbed off, sorry, not thinking cause I do have a pressure chart so.... 0 degrees for freezer looks like around 9 PSI for evaporator, ambient 70 degrees around 70 PSI. No cool evaporator line on compressor so I can't see any other problem other than low charge, fans working, when I finally got tap in place, about 50 PSI and pulled down to 0 PSI when running.
    Thanks for your help
    You're close, but missed my point about thinking of how a refrigeration system actually works. With a 0ºF evaporator there wouldn't be any heat transfer from a 0ºF freezer. The evap has to be colder than the freezer.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    You're close, but missed my point about thinking of how a refrigeration system actually works. With a 0ºF evaporator there wouldn't be any heat transfer from a 0ºF freezer. The evap has to be colder than the freezer.
    Also, the condenser should't be at a pressure equivalent to condenser ambient.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in