Water Pressure Sensor transmitter installation - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sealed electronics, stainless steel housing, nice. I would have no problem mounting this directly on chilled water pipe. The only thing I wonder about past failures is maybe water hammer from automatic valves and/or check valves? I have seen a couple of sites where it was bad enough to make me want to run for cover.

water hammer can be VARY SCARY!!
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

Quote Originally Posted by desert guy View Post
    The sensor electronics are sealed so condensation should not effect the sensor. Once the operating pressure of the system is established by the Water Balance Contractor it should not deviate very much. What is the range of the sensor you are using and what is the maximun system pressure.
    When I looked at the Catalogue Sheet for the sensor the Max Pressure was 2.5 to 3 times the pressure range so I don't think that the sensor failures are attributed to pressure or condensation.
    How much pressure is indicated on the gauge at the discharge of the pump?
    Dear desert guy,
    I'm forgot what the reading at pressure gauge. I'm always use that pressure sensor with max pressure is 300psi.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    Sealed electronics, stainless steel housing, nice. I would have no problem mounting this directly on chilled water pipe. The only thing I wonder about past failures is maybe water hammer from automatic valves and/or check valves? I have seen a couple of sites where it was bad enough to make me want to run for cover.
    Dear Nuclrchiller
    What is water hammer ? Can you explain to me. Is it cause by high pressure water ?

Quote Originally Posted by azka View Post
    Dear Nuclrchiller
    What is water hammer ? Can you explain to me. Is it cause by high pressure water ?
    Azka, can you just "Google" that? I don't know the definition, and I would probably end up talking in circles trying to describe it. But I believe it involves the quick shutting (or repositioning) of a valve in a piping system that can result in the rapid, repetitive sound- similar to a hammer banging on the pipe. In a chilled water plant, the result can be seen as movement of the pipes, sometimes a very large movement, along with a loud "bang" noise. I believe these noises and pipe movements are the results of sudden pressure changes and/or rapid fluctuations of pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by milkyway View Post
    water hammer can be VARY SCARY!!
    You got that right!

Azka,

Water hammer happens when a isolation valve closes too fast or suddenly.
    This normally happens w 4" and up water piping,.
    When it happens you will want to take cover!., I had a gasket blow out on me one time on an 8" pipe one time and my partner took off running lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    Azka, can you just "Google" that? I don't know the definition, and I would probably end up talking in circles trying to describe it. But I believe it involves the quick shutting (or repositioning) of a valve in a piping system that can result in the rapid, repetitive sound- similar to a hammer banging on the pipe. In a chilled water plant, the result can be seen as movement of the pipes, sometimes a very large movement, along with a loud "bang" noise. I believe these noises and pipe movements are the results of sudden pressure changes and/or rapid fluctuations of pressure.
    Thank you. Actually I never heard about that term "water hammer". But now I'm know it.

Quote Originally Posted by milkyway View Post
    Azka,

Water hammer happens when a isolation valve closes too fast or suddenly.
    This normally happens w 4" and up water piping,.
    When it happens you will want to take cover!., I had a gasket blow out on me one time on an 8" pipe one time and my partner took off running lol
    Thank you, I got it.

Water hammer can happen on any size pipe, it just scares you a bunch more on bigger stuff.
    I see it happen a lot on 1/2" and 3/4" pipe. http://www.pexsupply.com/Water-Hamme...stors-10951000
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_hammer
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

I would sugggest to install the sensor on a tee in order to be able to bleed air easily. Install the sensor on the side port of tee with elbow to have sensor vertical, water line below, and drain with upper port. Even better, install gauge on upper port just to double check readings. And isolating valves for the day you will need to replace components (take off handles if needed).

from what i know pigtail is to prevent back pressure or hammering effect to the pressure sensor diaphragm or capacitance sensing materials. check the system working pressure and check the pressure sensor specification, if the working pressure do not exceed burst pressure then it can install without the pigtail. if you want to avoid the copper piping loss or installation difficulties, http://www.setra.com/ProductDetails/...231RS_HVAC.htm you can try this differential pressure transmitter with remote sensor. so just install each pressure sensor on supply/return pipe and connect the wire back to the transmitter will have differential output.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12