+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flame sensor?

Post Likes

flame sensor?

First off I am fresh out of school so pretty green but would like a few opinions on a furnace I'm trying to get going for a friend.
    Lennox 90% Furnace starts up normally but flames get sloppy within a few seconds then go out and starts over. the code says flame sensor but the flame on burner the sensor is on gets sloppy very fast and not sure sensor has time to heat up. I have cleaned it with brillo, same outcome and sensor looks really good. combustion air switch checks out good.

orderd new flame sensor so figured I would run by y'all while I wait.

Thank you for your time, Scott

Post Likes
    Clean the burners and crossovers and check gas pressure.

Post Likes
    Does the flame get sloppy when the fan comes on?
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

Post Likes
    have you checked the air intake? you should not use a brillo to clean a flame sensor. use a bill. if the flames are getting sloppy i wouldn't think the flame sensor is at fault. what was the gas pressure?

Post Likes
    Flame gets sloppy almost immediately

Post Likes
    The flame sensor is the safety not the problem, what model?

Post Likes
    that is what I thought, G26Q3-75-6

Post Likes
    My guess is that you're not getting a good draw through the heat-exchanger. Either your inducer draft motor is not working right or you have a restriction in the combustion air path. Check your intake, exhaust and heat-exchanger. Could also be a breach in the heat-exchanger not allowing the inducer fan to create the necessary draw.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by addiscott View Post
    that is what I thought, G26Q3-75-6
    I've seen the secondary's plug on these and there under warranty. Pull the inducer and make sure the wheel is good and maybe the cover on the secondary side.

Post Likes
    I'll bet the secondary is plugged from years of poor drainage.
    Pull the collector box and have a look.

Post Likes
    Thanks alot! As I said I'm a little new but I shouldn't have second guessed myself. This is the track i was taking but supply house said flame sensor.

Post Likes
    Thanks alot! As I said I'm a little new but I shouldn't have second guessed myself. This is the track i was taking but supply house said flame sensor.
    Idiots!

Post Likes
    if the flames are sloppy right after ignition look for intake or exhaust restrictions.
    if flames get sloppy when blower starts look for a big crack in the primary heat exchanger just inside of the burners.
    early G26 furnaces had a burner alignment issue that let flame impinge on wall of heat exchanger, new HX comes with burner assembly that MUST be used.

Post Likes
    If you don't know how to test a flame sensor you should demand a full refund for your tuition.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pcp View Post
    If you don't know how to test a flame sensor you should demand a full refund for your tuition.
    That's a little harsh pcp.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by air1 View Post
    That's a little harsh pcp.
    Yep! some forget they did not know everything at one time. Then of course you have these to.....
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pcp View Post
    easy.... new tec with questions...... flame sensor never has or never will cause a flame to be sloppy..... it just proves the flame is there.....
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    Commenting on the school not the tech!

Post Likes
    ok.... we will all get over it...lol
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes

The supply house is, just that, a supply house. When I go to supply houses I always hear the guys behind the counter trying to help diagnose stuff over the phone. Their job is to take numbers you give them and turn them into parts, not diagnose your service call. Don't believe me? Call Grainger sometime and ask for technical help It's like talking to a barrel of monkeys. Do you have a senior tech to ask questions to?
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in