Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I agree that the problem is more likely on the secondary side. An easy way to fuse the transformer is to cut the hot wire from the transformer secondary side, put insulated female spade connectors on both ends of the cut wire and plug a 3 amp automotive fuse into the connectors.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

could use a new transformer with built in resettable fuse, too.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

I agree with pacnw. I now use a 50va transformer with a resettable fuse. For a few bucks more I get a little safety margin and a resettable secondary fuse. No more manually tieing fuse holders to transformers. Don't know if I am allowed to tell the brand name or not? Somebody let me know if you want brand name.

Most times I've found a bad xmfr it was the primary side open or shorted caused by a secondary side short. Bad RV coil is a pretty common cause for lv short.

Make sure you check the wiring outside especially around the wire ties

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12