+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Room register filters? Good idea?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Room register filters? Good idea?

We have a 1200 sq ft modular part time home located in northern Michigan. Average winter outside temps are in the teens and twenties, and it is often windy. The home was manufactured in 1978, with 3" thick exterior walls with fiberglass insulation. Attic insulation is minimal.

Heating is accomplished by a 70,000 BTU propane fired downdraft furnace with A/C. The furnace is about 6 years old, and the system does not have a return air duct system. The furnace is located in a central hallway; room doors are cut at the bottom so as to provide air flow under them if they are closed. Standard pleated filters are located in the furnace intake area in the manner the manufacturer (Coleman) designed, and are changed often.

My wife complains of dust throughout the home. Recently, she purchased and installed register filters similar to these: http://www.amazon.com/Vent-Filters-Pack-4x12-Register/dp/B002JKXW9A

I notice that airflow is significantly reduced, and I am concerned about overall furnace efficiency and longevity. I'm also concerned about the effects in the summer, as the 1-ton A/C system seemed to be barely sufficient without these filters.

What are the potential effects of these filters on the heating and cooling system, the overall cost to heat and cool, and the life of the system?

Post Likes
    The filters need to go.

The dust is not coming out of the vents most likely.

Filters in hvac are typically not for reducing dust in the home. They are to protect the furnace and ac coil.

You would have to run furnace fan near constant to achieve less dust.

Post Likes
    Do you live by busy street or highway or mabye a dust bowl? These can cause unusual amounts of dust.

Post Likes
    Need to take those "filters" out. They put unnecessary strain on the system and do nothing to help the dust problem. Often times leaky ductwork is the cause of most dust issues in a home, also can lights, ceiling fan, bathroom exhaust fan penetrations ect cause this problem. Have a home energy audit done to find ways to solve the problem. www.comfortinstitute.org or www.bpi.org for more info.

Post Likes
    Thank you, folks, for the quick and informative answers. The position here and elsewhere is unanimous against these 'gauze' filters.

As an engineer, intuitively I questioned their value and efficacy.

As I type this, the ducts are being professionally cleaned, and hopefully this will satisfy my bride's concerns.

Thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in