Question Airconditioning of Atriums

Hi,

I want some basic guidlines/check list for estimating heat loads and duct layouts. Working on project for Mall where only Atrium portion is to be aircon. My major concerned is with the duct layout.The atrium height from the ground is 50' having skylight.The building is G+2 floors having attrium in centre hence confused in positioning of the supply and return air duct. Also considering High cfm equipments for this application. Appreciate any recommendation or suggestion for the same.

regards
    Khozema.

My initial thought is returns high as heat will naturally rise with low supply ducts.

Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    My initial thought is returns high as heat will naturally rise with low supply ducts.
    thxs, even i thought so. But i had planed to keep supply and return in diagonal opposite for each floor keeping supply throw down with return grill louver at 0 degree at the same level.. is this concept ok. Simultaneously for the above floors(ie.Gr+ 2flrs), planing for splitting the load for each floors having individual equipment. Worried if the supply air of the equipment for the floor above (i.e 1st flr) will it get sucked through return duct of the ground floor duct effecting the performance? Or is it advisable to keep return of each individual floor equipments above all the supply duct...

My experience with this set up is to keep the supply a but higher and returns a but lower or the same height. You don't want to cause stratification. Plus as we all know heat rises and cold drops. If the returns are to high you have to account for added heat loads which don't represent the true returns temps where people will be working, walking or standing. This is not an easy question as we don't know the layout. But in some places i have seen where they added paddle fans to push air around to help circulate.