corrosion grenades

I just was in Miami talking to a friend who said he needs to change a condensing unit on a 5 year old unit. I read about these zinc balls called corrosion grenades that prolong the life of units in salty conditions. Sounds logical anyone have experiance with these working

i personally have had no experience with them, but was at a class about a month ago, and there was a part of the class about them, and was told that a dealer from south Louisiana that had been using them for the last few years, and had almost no warranty claims for leaking coils, though the factory isnt officially "endorsing" them, they were reccommending them, and for the price (13.00 usd) a piece, it seems like cheap insurance. we wernt disscussing salty air conditions but for formicary corrosion because thats more of a problem where im at
    The 2008 NATE TOP TECH!!!!!

For the price guess there is not much downside. Thanks for your input.

in boating it's referred to as a "sacrificial anode"
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

I seen them years ago in local suppliers ... seems they have disappeared off shelves. I liked the idea and folks I know with boats told me how they use them with success.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by hvac wiz 79 View Post
    I liked the idea and folks I know with boats told me how they use them with success.
    For a sacrificial anode to work it must be submerged in the same electrolyte as the part being protected.

That's why on a boat they're attached to the bottom, under water. If to just strapped it to the steering wheel it wouldn't do anything.

the way we were told to use them is mount them on the suction line at the evap coil and then run a ground wire from the coil chassis(top and bottom at the drain pan) to the grenade,

Quote Originally Posted by hvacman14 View Post
    the way we were told to use them is mount them on the suction line at the evap coil and then run a ground wire from the coil chassis(top and bottom at the drain pan) to the grenade,
    I thought they mounted outside because of the salty air around the oceans?
    As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another Proverbs 27:17 NIV84

they didnt discuss the salt air enviorment with us, we were looking at hi humidity areas with hi voc in the air, im sure that in salt air it would be mounted outside at the condensor

i actually have one on my condenser. Yes it's mounted on the suction line just prior to entering the compressor. My unit is 4 yo and i haven't really noticed any fin corrosion as of yet. Granted it could be cause it does get washed out on a regular basis as well.