+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Larkin condensors

Post Likes

Larkin condensors

Just throwing this out there for you guys. Over the last year my company has installed 4-5 new walk in coolers. ( evaps, TXV, line sets and cond.)

And every last one has had a bad headmaster right out of the gate. The latest one is a Larkin m: LHT050X60CFM, new style with the micro channel coil. Once everything is up and running my liquid side hangs about 140PSI on a 180 valve. Check condensor coil and half is warm and half is cool. ( 24lbs of 404-a) Site glass flashing a bit. Add a fan cycler and of course glass clears during fan off. Fan cycles on glass remains clear. Ambient was 30*

We have done this a few times like I said til we can get a new head master, new valve diverts flow as needed and maintains the 180... Just wondering if anyone else has been having these issues right out of the gate.

Post Likes
    Interesting. What brand valves??

Post Likes
    Sporlan OROA-5-180

Post Likes
    From my experience in working for the valve company in question and being in the industry for nearly 40 years......almost without exception when someone finds multiples of the same component all failing on startup, there is normally some other explanation besides it being a defective component.

Just saying.....

Post Likes
    How are you coming up with the additional charge to flood the condenser using the microchannel coil?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bunny View Post
    From my experience in working for the valve company in question and being in the industry for nearly 40 years......almost without exception when someone finds multiples of the same component all failing on startup, there is normally some other explanation besides it being a defective component.

Just saying.....
    This makes a LOT of sense.

One failure? Yeah, it happens. Multiple failures? Something fishy is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by y7turbo View Post
    How are you coming up with the additional charge to flood the condenser using the microchannel coil?
    I know that Heatcraft published a chart that just gave a flooding charge value for their microchannel coils.

I suppose that Larkin would, too.

Post Likes
    It does sound like system charge is the culprit. You must charge to full sight glass then add additional chagrge for low ambient operation. If sight glass was not full then there was not enough charge to flood condenser which would then lower condenser pressure below valve setting. I must admit that 24 lb is about what I normally charge that size unit when lines are under 50'.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    This makes a LOT of sense.

One failure? Yeah, it happens. Multiple failures? Something fishy is going on.

I know that Heatcraft published a chart that just gave a flooding charge value for their microchannel coils.

I thought Larkin was Heatcraft?

Post Likes
    Flashing glass = big red flag.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    I thought Larkin was Heatcraft?
    I can't keep track of who is who.

Bohn is Heatcraft, I know.

Other than that, I write down the numbers and somebody else deciphers who owns who and who supplies what parts.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

In sure they do JP. Lets see how the OP calculated the charge.

Post Likes
    Larkin is also Heatcraft. Their nameplates need special deciphering
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Heatcraft owns Bohn, Larkin, Climate Control, and Chandler. Check the flooded charge.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Charge was calculated by size of receiver height and diameter. and mounting direction ( vertical or horizontal) We all have books and literature from united refrigeration and refrigeration research. That will give you the capacity of it. That is how our company and a few of the 20 plus year guys have always said to do it.
    At my previous company I was always told to charge to a til glass.

I have been hesitant lately of over charging I had one case over the summer that I over charged by about 6lbs and got a call back on the WIF not holding temp. But that was charging til a clear glass and it bit me.

So now Ive been trying to use as literature as possible when charging. I also do agree with you guys that once ok but multiple times odds are that it is more than likely not a equipment issue. But everything was installed and charged to the letter so that is the part that makes it odd. and when a new headmaster is installed everything acts properly.

Post Likes
    And I believe Lennox owns Heatcraft
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    been in the trade over 30 years...... work on lots of refrigeration..... maybe changed 3 headmasters in my life...... they usually don't cause a problem......
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    Yes, Lennox owns Heatcraft. One brand that wasn't mentioned was Kysor/Warren, also under Heatcraft. Rumor has it that Lennox will roll out a Heatcraft Service soon, specializing in anything Com. Ref. What do you guys think? Was not the Service Experts and National Accounts Services businesses enough?!

Post Likes
    The only written info I ever seen on low ambient charge requirements for Heatcraft units with the HyperCore condenser coils is this FAQ bulletin (See p.6):

Heatcraft 1/2 - 6 HP Units with Hypercore FAQ

As you can see from this, 2-3 pounds is about it for even their larger units.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    As you can see from this, 2-3 pounds is about it for even their larger units.
    Thats what heatcraft said when I called a while back. I was installing a new condensing unit but there was nothing in the manual on how to calculate the charge for the headmaster on the microchannel coils. He said there is two ways, clear the glass and add 3 pounds, or charge to 90% receiver capacity.

Post Likes
    I just saved that pdf to my phone.

Then I can just look it up...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in