Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    14AJM big ones I've heard have a lot of fan noise. .
    Glad to know that, biggest we have sold so for is a 3-ton, don't the AJM's have the same blade as the UAPM's? must be the box configuration.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Is there any online site where I can enter all information to do the Load Calc? Or Only a Pro in HVAC can do that? Beenthere gave you the link.

Summary of the house : Its from 1983 and its West Facing, with Vaulted Ceilings around 750 sq ft of the house. It has 3 sliding glass door leading to patio each 8ft vs 7ft.

I called up one of the Bryant Contractors and he said I will need around 5T, because he told me its around 400 to 450 Sq Ft per Ton for our location. Add more for West Facing houses. Well it is safe to bet, those 5-Ton systems are NOT delivering anywhere near 5-Ton to the conditioned areas.

I called another Contractor today for the estimate and he said I will need 5T as well and he gave me a quote for that. He told me he would do a Heat Load Calculation only; if I decide to go with his company and he will give a quote for 4T; if 4T would suffice the needs of the house.
    Before doing the manual J calc., figure out every way possible to reduce the load of those sliding patio doorways & windows. Insulated reflective drapes & blinds, plus awnings for patio doorways, everything sealed well, etc.

There are also screens engineered to reduce radiant heat gain.

Get the infiltration rate down to the minimum level.
    I couldn't find the thorough pdf links...

Here are some excellent links on doing things right:
    Jan 2, 2013 1:33 PM, By Rob 'Doc' Falke

Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    Before doing the manual J calc., figure out every way possible to reduce the load of those sliding patio doorways & windows. Insulated reflective drapes & blinds, plus awnings for patio doorways, everything sealed well, etc.

There are also screens engineered to reduce radiant heat gain.

Get the infiltration rate down to the minimum level.
    I couldn't find the thorough pdf links...

Here are some excellent links on doing things right:
    Jan 2, 2013 1:33 PM, By Rob 'Doc' Falke
    Thanks for the links.

Few more question I have :

1. What is better to have ? Two-Stage outside Unit or Variable Speed Air Handler ?
    2. Can I use Bryant Legacy series outside unit and Bryant Preferred Series Air Handler to get variable speed + Humidity Control ?

The cost different to jump from Legacy Series to Preferred series is big one - well almost 60% increase; based on the quotes I have got from 5 retailers. Most contractors tell me - Bryant is quieter than Rheem - not sure how true that is though.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by manu.miami View Post
    Thanks for the links.

1. What is better to have? Two-Stage outside Unit or Variable Speed Air Handler?
    2. Can I use Bryant Legacy series outside unit and Bryant Preferred Series Air Handler to get variable speed + Humidity Control?

The cost difference to jump from Legacy Series to Preferred series is a big one - well almost 60% increase; based on the quotes I have got from 5 retailers. Most contractors tell me - Bryant is quieter than Rheem - not sure how true that is though. Thanks.
    I will let the other PROs with recent hands-on experience with these systems reply to your questions.

I've been pretty-much retired way too long to provide anything of worth concerning your above questions... - Darrell

me to....way to old..... barely speak english...lol.......... 2 stage is useless in my province
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Quote Originally Posted by manu.miami View Post
    Thanks for the links.

1. What is better to have ? Two-Stage outside Unit or Variable Speed Air Handler ?
    2. Can I use Bryant Legacy series outside unit and Bryant Preferred Series Air Handler to get variable speed + Humidity Control ?

The cost different to jump from Legacy Series to Preferred series is big one - well almost 60% increase; based on the quotes I have got from 5 retailers. Most contractors tell me - Bryant is quieter than Rheem - not sure how true that is though.

Thanks.
    In order to get any real benefit from 2 stage A/c, you pretty much need to have a VS blower.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

That 400 sqft/ton is on the money here in S. Florida otherwise system will run forever and never make temp especially tween 3&7 in july and boy will they complain....Heat load cal gonna run u $ no way round it gotta have it to pull permit. What u have is already is a fiveton system right ? then ductwork should b fine...wtever gets done make sure its done right b/c u r gonna live with it for the next 10-15 years
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-08-2013 at 06:05 AM. Reason: price

Quote Originally Posted by rcac101 View Post
    That 400 sqft/ton is on the money here in S. Florida otherwise system will run forever and never make temp especially tween 3&7 in july and boy will they complain....Heat load cal gonna run u $ no way round it gotta have it to pull permit. What u have is already is a fiveton system right ? then ductwork should b fine...wtever gets done make sure its done right b/c u r gonna live with it for the next 10-15 years
    You sound like you really know what you are talking about

what is your point Tallahassee

Believe it or not - I have had 10 estimates and everyone keep saying the 400 sq ft to 450 sq ft thumb rules. And most people looked at the home and everyone kept saying I will need 5T atleast to cool the home. One contractor measured the duct on the top of the air handler and based on the chart - he said it is large enough of 2000cfm at the attic but where the duct connects to air handler it is around 1500 to 1600 cfm. But to be sure he will have to remove the air handler and measure it too.

So I have filtered it down to both Options :

Trane
    Air Conditioner 4TTB4061E - XB14 Series
    Air Handler TAM7A0C60 - Hyperion XL Series
    Warranty : 10 year for Parts & Compressor and 1 Year Labor only

VS

Bryant
    Air Conditioner 127ANA060 - Preferred Series
    Air Handler FV4CNB006
    Programmable Thermidistat for dehumidification
    Warranty : 10 year for Parts & Compressor and 1 Year Labor only

Both Unit Cost the same - which Unit would be better in terms of quality & noise level.

Quote Originally Posted by rcac101 View Post
    The point here being customer complaining about temp not getting met. Although they may have lower humidity in house they will never understand how they can possibly be saving money when their ac never shuts off, try to explain it to them that its not solely about the temp but the humidity percentage. Your unit uses more electricity and wear and tear when it short cycles, Good luck with that. High humidity areas are prime for two stage condensers and ecm or variable speed motors, but then they have to pay that much more money for the proper product. Most resi. customers want the cheapest price to have some cold air blasting out of the register.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

Trane is the better unit and dont forget to ask about the FPL rebate

BTW american standard is a trane might want to chk those prices too

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast