Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I also use the Testo 510, so far so good.

Dwyer has anything you could wish for. I have been using their products for over 30 years with no complaints.

Ok, so I just bought the testo 510. Checked out a lot of reveiws and this little tool looks awsome. I'm just not sure about one thing. Whats the difference between a pilot tube and a static pressure tube? The pilot tube is really expensive. Can I use the static pressure tube to check cfm? Thanks for all your help

Testo 510 does velocity also so you can easily calculate cfm

Quote Originally Posted by chrisevansac View Post
    Testo 510 does velocity also so you can easily calculate cfm
    Yes, but how and can I do it with the static pressure tube?

You can't with static tips they don't measure velocity pressure. you need a pitot tube for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesjen829 View Post
    Yes, but how and can I do it with the static pressure tube?
    You can't. You need the pitot tube to measure total pressure and static pressure in order to determine velocity pressure. If you know velocity pressure to calculate fpm. With fpm and duct area cfm can be calculated.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

Ok, so I just bought the testo 510. Checked out a lot of reveiws and this little tool looks awsome. I'm just not sure about one thing. Whats the difference between a pilot tube and a static pressure tube? The pilot tube is really expensive. Can I use the static pressure tube to check cfm? Thanks for all your help
    Well, I guess that this question needs to be answered with a question, first.

What equipment are you working on?

Most smaller equipment, you can get away with static tips and, at most, a tachometer and amp probe to compute total airflow.

A pitot tube is for much more accurate measurements than are typically required.

I don't know many techs who carry a pitot tube.

JesJen,

I too am on the bandwagon with the Testo 510 crowd, which I use with a pitot tube at times. As a backup, and to satisfy the non-digital folks with whom I work, I keep a Dwyer magnahelic too.

If you want to learn more about airflow and testing it the right way, I would strongly recommend the National Comfort Institute (NCI) Test and Balance class. It is a great way to understand the math and science behind what we do, and you will have a whole new world of potential profitability open to you.

Link - NCI Certification:
    https://www.nationalcomfortinstitute...x.cfm?pid=1788

A pitot measures both total and static pressure. It is concentric with the inner tube measuring total and the outer tube surrounds the inner and has several tiny holes and connected to the other end of a manometer. I also have the Testo 510 pocket pro, and was wondering how a pitot would work with it as far as how you would connect the inner and outer protions of the pitot? Also, when I bought mine it didn't come with any tubing or attachments and I am looking for a kit, something with a pitot and different sized static tips. Don't mean to jump in on someone else's thread but any of you guy's(gals) have any suggestions for that?

Quote Originally Posted by millertime77 View Post
    I also have the Testo 510 pocket pro, and was wondering how a pitot would work with it as far as how you would connect the inner and outer protions of the pitot?
    High side (+) of manometer to Total Pressure - hook to connection that is straight out the end of pitot tube.

Low side (-) of manometer to Static Pressure - hook to connection that is 90 offset of the end of pitot tube.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Testo 510 and Dwyer magnahelic for TESP test and other duct testing

I got a 2 port uei, does everything I need. Reliable, and if I remember it wasn't too over priced.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast