+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: best digital manometer

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesjen829 View Post
    Ok, so I just bought the testo 510. Checked out a lot of reveiws and this little tool looks awsome. I'm just not sure about one thing. Whats the difference between a pilot tube and a static pressure tube? The pilot tube is really expensive. Can I use the static pressure tube to check cfm? Thanks for all your help
    Well, I guess that this question needs to be answered with a question, first.

What equipment are you working on?

Most smaller equipment, you can get away with static tips and, at most, a tachometer and amp probe to compute total airflow.

A pitot tube is for much more accurate measurements than are typically required.

I don't know many techs who carry a pitot tube.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesjen829 View Post
    Ok, so I just bought the testo 510. Checked out a lot of reveiws and this little tool looks awsome. I'm just not sure about one thing. Whats the difference between a pilot tube and a static pressure tube? The pilot tube is really expensive. Can I use the static pressure tube to check cfm? Thanks for all your help
    JesJen,

I too am on the bandwagon with the Testo 510 crowd, which I use with a pitot tube at times. As a backup, and to satisfy the non-digital folks with whom I work, I keep a Dwyer magnahelic too.

If you want to learn more about airflow and testing it the right way, I would strongly recommend the National Comfort Institute (NCI) Test and Balance class. It is a great way to understand the math and science behind what we do, and you will have a whole new world of potential profitability open to you.

Link - NCI Certification:
    https://www.nationalcomfortinstitute...x.cfm?pid=1788

Post Likes
    A pitot measures both total and static pressure. It is concentric with the inner tube measuring total and the outer tube surrounds the inner and has several tiny holes and connected to the other end of a manometer. I also have the Testo 510 pocket pro, and was wondering how a pitot would work with it as far as how you would connect the inner and outer protions of the pitot? Also, when I bought mine it didn't come with any tubing or attachments and I am looking for a kit, something with a pitot and different sized static tips. Don't mean to jump in on someone else's thread but any of you guy's(gals) have any suggestions for that?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime77 View Post
    I also have the Testo 510 pocket pro, and was wondering how a pitot would work with it as far as how you would connect the inner and outer protions of the pitot?
    High side (+) of manometer to Total Pressure - hook to connection that is straight out the end of pitot tube.

Low side (-) of manometer to Static Pressure - hook to connection that is 90º offset of the end of pitot tube.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes
    Testo 510 and Dwyer magnahelic for TESP test and other duct testing

Post Likes
    I got a 2 port uei, does everything I need. Reliable, and if I remember it wasn't too over priced.

Post Likes
    I have the testo dual port I won off this site yrs ago, one of my favorite tools.

Before then I had a Dwyer oil filled incline manometer and u-tube manometer. The Mark II I had was about $30 and I used it to meas ESP when doing install startups to check airflow.

I've also used dt to set airflow when had elec htrs in unit.

w/o either elec ht or static chart, fall back on the pitot tube I keep on van. also have a phototach that I've used on commercial stuff. on res w/driecrt drive, the rpm=motor speed, so and oem esp chart just uses esp and motor speed tap on chart.
    since comm stuff has lots of belt drive, they use blower rpm. bit of scotchbrite and esp and can use cfm chart.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Eadam1985 View Post
    i just bogh fieldpiece 2 port manometer only had a chance to use it a few time but love it!
    What I use no problems.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Northfloridatech View Post
    What I use no problems.
    I use the field piece as well. I like it but when checking gas pressure it will drop below the actual reading and I constantly have to re-zero to make sure it is right. Not sure if they are all like that or just mine. It's not a big deal now but when I first used it I unknowingly set gas pressure too high.

Post Likes
    Can you hook up 'static probes' or a 'pitot tube' to a 'yellow jacket 78055 gas pressure test kit' or do you have to use a manometer?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by filiberto View Post
    Can you hook up 'static probes' or a 'pitot tube' to a 'yellow jacket 78055 gas pressure test kit' or do you have to use a manometer?
    The YJ 78055 only reads positive pressure, and the scale is too big (0 - 10"wc.) for accurate readings.

If you are using an analog dial gauge, you need something that is a dual port (positive, negative or differential) gauge where the scale is only 0 - 1" wc (0 - 2"wc max) for accurate static pressure readings. Something like the Dwyer #2001.

You also need a dual port manometer when using a pitot tube.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes
    My Testo 510 has been serving me well so far.

Post Likes
    Aha! Excellent concise info. Thanks rundawg!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime77 View Post
    A pitot measures both total and static pressure. It is concentric with the inner tube measuring total and the outer tube surrounds the inner and has several tiny holes and connected to the other end of a manometer. I also have the Testo 510 pocket pro, and was wondering how a pitot would work with it as far as how you would connect the inner and outer protions of the pitot? Also, when I bought mine it didn't come with any tubing or attachments and I am looking for a kit, something with a pitot and different sized static tips. Don't mean to jump in on someone else's thread but any of you guy's(gals) have any suggestions for that?
    I was surprised it didn't come with hoses also. You can google static pressure kit and a bunch of stuff comes up. I went to home depot and found 3/8" tubing 20 feet for only 2 bucks.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by billygoat22 View Post
    I have the testo dual port I won off this site yrs ago, one of my favorite tools.

Before then I had a Dwyer oil filled incline manometer and u-tube manometer. The Mark II I had was about $30 and I used it to meas ESP when doing install startups to check airflow.

I've also used dt to set airflow when had elec htrs in unit.

w/o either elec ht or static chart, fall back on the pitot tube I keep on van. also have a phototach that I've used on commercial stuff. on res w/driecrt drive, the rpm=motor speed, so and oem esp chart just uses esp and motor speed tap on chart.
    since comm stuff has lots of belt drive, they use blower rpm. bit of scotchbrite and esp and can use cfm chart.
    You can win tools off this site!?!? I want to win something. Where do I sign up

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2141 View Post
    I use the field piece as well. I like it but when checking gas pressure it will drop below the actual reading and I constantly have to re-zero to make sure it is right. Not sure if they are all like that or just mine. It's not a big deal now but when I first used it I unknowingly set gas pressure too high.
    I use the Fieldpiece dual port as well. Mine does the same with the gas pressure (about .1"WC every few minutes), but it works great for static pressure. The other issue I have is if I leave the hose on the port, it makes it easier to break the port off the meter! Thankfully it has two ports...

Post Likes
    The best on the market is the retrotec DM-2 for checking minute pressure imbalances throughout a structure and for blower door/duct leakage testing. Testo 510 for gas pressure, draft and duct static. The testo kit I got came with pitot tubes, leather case that hooks to your belt and a cloth carrying case for hoses, pitot tubes, manometer and instruction manual.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in