Views: 955
Size:  61.9 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356979696.739563.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  17.6 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356979704.656211.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  58.1 KB

Tankless job my bro in law put in

Post Likes
    Just out of curiosity, what are the energy savings between a tank heater and a tankless? And the price between the two.

Nice, clean install though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by access_max View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what are the energy savings between a tank heater and a tankless? And the price between the two.

Nice, clean install though.

Idk any actual numbers but the theory is your only heating the water when you need it. Instead of keeping say 40 gallons hot 24/7.

Comfort also comes into play. You really don't have to worry about running out of hot water.

Post Likes
    Very nice install btw

Post Likes
    They can get up to 98% so they can definitely save some money. I'm far from an expert on them I only work on a few a year. Initial cost can be quite a bit higher. One of the complaints I've heard about them is it takes longer to get hot water especially farther away from the unit because the pipes stay cold and you need to run that water out first.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyBeer View Post
    Very nice install btw
    Thank you

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hvac216 View Post
    One of the complaints I've heard about them is it takes longer to get hot water especially farther away from the unit because the pipes stay cold and you need to run that water out first.
    Isn't it the same issue with a tank water heater?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by access_max View Post
    Isn't it the same issue with a tank water heater?

But with a tankless you have to also wait for the burner prepurge and light off. A tank gives warm water right away. This also sometimes gives a "cold water sandwich"

Post Likes
    That's a pretty small gas line.. How long it that csst? Looks like 3/4".. Natural gas?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kangaroogod View Post
    That's a pretty small gas line.. How long it that csst? Looks like 3/4".. Natural gas?
    Yeah 3/4 to a tee at the ceiling, around 6ft I think. From there it goes to hard black pipe. 3/4 is all those units require as long as you have 1 1/4 from the meter and its the 1st gas appliance. Oh and yes natural gas.

A couple guys from work went to a class and the newest ones coming out will run on 1/2". It doesn't matter if its before or after other appliances as long as it gets 3.5" inlet.

Post Likes
    They can save on gas but if you factor in first cost, maintenance and repairs you
    don't have with a tank, is the net result savings? Not if you lose a $xxx board!
    Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    They can save on gas but if you factor in first cost, maintenance and repairs you
    don't have with a tank, is the net result savings? Not if you lose a $xxx board!
    Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
    That's not much different then high end hvac systems. 16 seer 2 stage, mod furnace, and a couple repairs and there go all your savings.

Post Likes
    Agreed, cheaper to repair a cheaper hot water tank, than spend more upfront on a nifty tankless loaded with features that will break at some point that costs $$$ to fix, and bam, all the savings you saved up, evaporate.

Post Likes
    Most tankless water heaters don't have a pre-purge. They have a post purge. I have a Rinnai in my house and it works great.
    Become a friend or fan on Facebook

Post Likes
    I think it's unfortunate that they ended up having to market these heaters as energy savers - they really don't save that much energy, and in a lot of cases, end up using the same or more, AND using more water as well. The cold sandwich gets families to leave water running sometimes too long. Showers no longer have any real time limit. You get the idea.

That said, I installed a tankless about 4 year ago, and I love it - but for the RIGHT reasons. it's a lot smaller than my old tank, and it runs forever. I spend more on gas than I used to, because we just use the hot water a lot more. I actually would like to install a mini-tank heater and recirc line to get rid of the sandwich issue, and get instant hot water, which would pretty much eliminate all the negatives of the system.

Post Likes
    Recirc is totally worth it. Just do it. I find it annoying now waiting for hot water or getting too hot of water and having to mix it.

Sent from my SGPT12 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    Recirc is totally worth it. Just do it. I find it annoying now waiting for hot water or getting too hot of water and having to mix it.

Sent from my SGPT12 using Tapatalk 2
    Oh, I know it is worth it - I just spent my household upgrades budget on a softener though, so it'll have to wait a bit for the recirc upgrade.

Post Likes
    I hear you. I don't think i can get a new system for my downstairs until October.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in