Fan Setting "on" with my forced air funace?

I have a Rheem furnace with the serial # rgpn-10eamer.

I am thinking about setting my fan to always on because my wife gets allergies and I want to distribute heat throughout my house more evenly since there are some cold spots. My only concern is electricity cost. I was reading that it wold be OK if I had a D.C variable speed motor.

When I have the fan setting set "on" the fan blows at a much higher rate when the heat is being pushed. When the heat or flames are off the fan is much lower and much more quiet.

I just want to make sure my Rheem furnace has this variable speed motor because I go an run it 24/7. Would anyone be able to let me know through that link or serial number?

Thank you for your pro help.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest6x View Post
    I just want to make sure my Rheem furnace has this variable speed motor because I go an run it 24/7. Would anyone be able to let me know through that link or serial number?

If it is the original motor, you DO NOT have a ECM (Electronically Commutated Motor) variable speed blower motor in that furnace.

It is a multi speed (3-4 speeds) PSC (Permanent Split Capacitor) motor.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

you will do fine running the fan 24-7 and there likely wont be any real energy spike as the many starts are a greater amp draw than the constant run ! it is possible to have the fan on setting set to a lower speed if so desired .

Fan on has its own speed tap. Sounds like the installer put it on high.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

That is actually a 100,000 3-ton drive high speed will draw about 7.1 amps at 1200 cfm's.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” –Albert Einstein

“Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.”-Vernon Law

This model had two different control boards.

On the units with the 1097-200 control, the "HEAT" speed functions as the "Continuous Fan" speed as well.

The 1028-928 control had a separate "Continuous Fan" terminal on the board, usually set to "LOW" speed, but could be jumpered to what ever speed you wanted.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

They have ECM motors that can replace existing PSC motors. Rescue and Evergreen are a couple that come to mind. These motors use substantially less energy in "circulation" or "low speed" than a PSC motor. They can help even temp differences in the home, but can also increase air infiltration/exfiltration if you have an imbalanced air delivery and/or duct leakage if ducts are in an unconditioned space.
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

Thanks for the info. So from what I am reading, it will be alright to run continuously. I guess the best way to tell is to look at my electric bill since there is no way to monitor KwPH.

I have noticed that when the heat is going to turn on, the low fan speed/auto on turns off, the exhaust turns on, burner ignites then the high speed fan kicks into distribute the warm air.

Ive seen some boards that do shut the fan off as the trial for heat takes place in that case you'll need to have a tech work some majic on er to some justice to your electric bill other wise those momentary stops will still cost you

you could always replace the furnace with a 2 stage varible speed furnace
    We really need change now

Quote Originally Posted by mechanical'al View Post
    Ive seen some boards that do shut the fan off as the trial for heat takes place in that case you'll need to have a tech work some majic on er to some justice to your electric bill other wise those momentary stops will still cost you
    Won't matter if it stops when the heat cycle first starts. his electric bill is going to increase a good amount anyway. PSC blowers use a good amount of electric when they run 24/7
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

well thats that much more

Mr Bill posted that your fan will use 7.1 amps approximately. A little math will tell you basically how much you should expect to see added to your electric bill.

Amps x Volts = wattage / hour

Wattage / hour x 24hrs/day = Total watts used per day by the fan

Total watts / 1000 = Kwh per day

Kwh per day x 30 days = how many Kw you will use per month

Kw/month x $ per Kw you're being charged will give you the answer.

I'f that fan, at that amperage, was running in my home it would cost approximately $80/month @ 24 hours a day

I'd check into having a qualified HVAC person change your motor out for an Evergreen (or equivalent) ECM motor. The cost of the change would be fairly quickly recouped.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.