Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Propane Prices

Propane Prices

dan sw fl posted a link to the following site last week that shows the weekly heating oil and propane prices. I've read through quite a few posts that mention the high price of propane but didn't realize just how much it varied throughout the US until looking at that site.

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pri_wfr_dcus_nus_w.htm

I'm just curious about the actual prices that members have paid recently. I've only lived in my house since Oct 2011 so I have a limited sample size. My supplier gives a $.20/gal cash discount if paid in full within 14 days. I also received a 1% dividend last year.

Here's what I've paid so far:

Nov 2011: $1.77/gal ($1.97 before discount) - Initial fill after purchasing house
    Jun 2012: $1.30/gal ($1.50 before discount)
    Nov 2012: $1.35/gal ($1.55 before discount)

I WISH my propane dealer would give a discount!
    I pay on delivery..have even left check for delivery guy to fill out
    and on a couple of occasions...cash.
    but I'm in a rural area & have done business with this company
    for 18 years.

I filled my propane tank Dec 7th.
    tank was down to 20% capacity.
    95.1 gallons @ $2.80 per gallon.
    haz mat charge & tax made fill up total $284.22

the cost of the propane is why I installed a heat pump.
    thankfully the winters here aren't long...but a few years
    ago when temps were really low...I used a full tank
    in one month. those record temps are rare...but
    propane is expensive.
    note that I have propane stove & 40 gallon water heater.

what propane appliances do you have?
    what is your heating system?
    is this an existing home?
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Propane cost has dipped recently because of last winter being so mild, but are expected to go back up and beyond.
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-31-2012 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member, posted while thread was in AOP

Homeowner314, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

Your post has been deleted.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by energy_rater_La View Post

what propane appliances do you have?
    what is your heating system?
    is this an existing home?
    Our house was built in 1994 and the only propane appliance is a 50 gallon water heater. We have a 1000 gallon tank for the house. I may change the water heater to off-peak electric when we get rural water.

We currently have a Heil 9000 propane furnace and an American Standard Allegiance 10 A/C that are original to the house. We are replacing both soon with another propane furnace and heat pump. We live in the country so natural gas isn't an option and geothermal wasn't cost effective.

We also have another 1000 gallon tank that supplies the heater in our shop and a 23kw Katolight generator.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-31-2012 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member, posted while thread was in AOP

jeepgrady, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

Your post has been deleted.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2425 View Post
    Our house was built in 1994 and the only propane appliance is a 50 gallon water heater. We have a 1000 gallon tank for the house. I may change the water heater to off-peak electric when we get rural water.

We currently have a Heil 9000 propane furnace and an American Standard Allegiance 10 A/C that are original to the house. We are replacing both soon with another propane furnace and heat pump. We live in the country so natural gas isn't an option and geothermal wasn't cost effective.

We also have another 1000 gallon tank that supplies the heater in our shop and a 23kw Katolight generator.
    I have not done much with LP (propane) in decades... in the metro Atlanta area almost everyone has n-gas.

Do the suppliers give a discount when you buy a large amount... like let that 1000 gal tank run down to 250 or 200?
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

ga havc tech in first post OP says:My supplier gives a $.20/gal cash discount if paid in full within 14 days. I also received a 1% dividend last year.
    pretty sweet deal, I'd settle for the .20 cent per gallon is paid in full in 2 weeks!

OP, I figured you were rural with propane!
    they have some pretty efficient water heaters for propane look for .65 energy factor and higher.
    with electric .95 energy factor and higher.
    or really upgrade with electric to heat pump water heater. energy factor is 2.30...quite a difference
    plus 1/2 ton of cooling & dehumdification benefits. don't think instant propane tank would be a good
    deal though.

it gets really cold where you are doesn't it? dual fuel is a good choice. folks here are
    very knowledgeable about these systems.

I was hoping to see propane costs from others..
    your costs are MUCH lower than mine.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Mods,

Is it possible to move this thread to the General Discussion forum so anyone can respond? Or would it be easier if I just repost it there?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by energy_rater_La View Post
    ga havc tech in first post OP says:My supplier gives a $.20/gal cash discount if paid in full within 14 days. I also received a 1% dividend last year.
    pretty sweet deal, I'd settle for the .20 cent per gallon is paid in full in 2 weeks!

OP, I figured you were rural with propane!
    they have some pretty efficient water heaters for propane look for .65 energy factor and higher.
    with electric .95 energy factor and higher.
    or really upgrade with electric to heat pump water heater. energy factor is 2.30...quite a difference
    plus 1/2 ton of cooling & dehumdification benefits. don't think instant propane tank would be a good
    deal though.

it gets really cold where you are doesn't it? dual fuel is a good choice. folks here are
    very knowledgeable about these systems.

I was hoping to see propane costs from others..
    your costs are MUCH lower than mine.
    Yeah, I saw that.

Back in the 1970's, I lived in Houston (well, the burbs). I had a 12000 ft greenhouse growing operation... heated with propane. While we did not get a discount for cash... we did get a discount for a over a certain amount. I bought from a handful of mom/pop co's... kinda played they against each other for price. One co has a smaller truck... only carried 850 gal. They would cut me a sweet deal if I could take the entire truckload.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2425 View Post
    Mods,

Is it possible to move this thread to the General Discussion forum so anyone can respond? Or would it be easier if I just repost it there?

Dave
    x2... more feedback there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast