I bought a Brinkman Smoke N Grill a couple of weeks ago and am on the uphill side of the learning curve. First attempt was a flank steak for two hours which was pretty decent.
Next was a four pound Brisket using the same Kingsford Mesquite Briquets. They didn't last more than a couple of hours at most but I may have not used enough charcoal, just what I could heat up in the charcoal chimney I have.
Today I am doing about a 5 pound Pork Butt I seasoned on Saturday. This time I am using Royal Oak lump charcoal and after putting in a full chimney of coals it only lasted a little more than an hour before the heat dropped off.
I added more coals using the chimney as a measure to what was left of the coals and put some more into the chimney until they were glowing halfway and added that also to the smoker and a couple of pieces of mesquite I soaked overnight.
So now after 1 1/2 hours it is still pretty hot and doing OK. I think I just was not adding enough charcoal to begin with. Any hints as to a newbie could do to improve this would be appreciated.