I have a Carrier 38YDB048 heat pump with a FE4ANF005000 fan/coil, also with Infinity Control.

Does anyone know whether Carrier ever developed a quiet shift option for this unit? My Service company said they were going to check if it was available, but I haven't heard back yet.

Thanks . . Tom

No. It's a reciprocating compressor. Quiet shift is to eliminate scroll compressor rattle during defrost transition. It doesn't eliminate the swoosh that you are hear during defrost transition.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

he is correct!!
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

The problem is that "swooshing sound" is more like a MOOSE SCREAMING to get in.
    It's only really "screams" when switching back to heating and the compressor is running in high speed, otherwise it is a swooshing sound.
    Hard to believe a manufacturer would let something like that go without a "FIX"?

Thanks . . Tom

There is no fix for something that is normal on all heat pumps. All reversing valves make a noise like air brakes on a big truck when they change over, it is normal. If your's is louder than normal then you may have other problems that your contractor needs to address. It could be the pressure is getting too high before defrost termination. There are lots of things that can cause this.
    If all else fails....Try reading the directions!

Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

Any views or opinions stated here are strictly my own.

Yes, I'm not happy with my Carrier 38YZA when going and coming from a defrost. However, it, the heat pump, is outside my bedroom and if I'm awake I can certainly hear it when it goes into a defrost. If I'm asleep I would not be bothered by it. However, I do have the option of quiet shift, which I used for the first four years. I made a decision to take it out of quiet shift as I felt that there was too much wear and tear having the compressor shutting off before each defrost in quiet shift mode. As someone said you don't have this option with a reciprocal compressor, but I'm personally not sure your missing too much either.

Thorton

Tom - did you ever get any resolution on this??? I'm just curious. I have a Maytag Heat Pump that is doing the same thing. I love the "Moose Screaming" analogy... that is PERFECT. I have been dealing with the "Moose" since mine was installed last year, and all I can get from Maytag is "that's normal". Sure doesn't seem "normal" to me... seems more like "annoying"!

-Jim

Quote Originally Posted by sillikat View Post
    The problem is that "swooshing sound" is more like a MOOSE SCREAMING to get in.
    It's only really "screams" when switching back to heating and the compressor is running in high speed, otherwise it is a swooshing sound.
    Hard to believe a manufacturer would let something like that go without a "FIX"?

Thanks . . Tom