Should Drug Testing be Required to Receive Public Assitance? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The only issue I see with it is criminals are not dumb....many of them know how to pass a drug screen. I'm afraid many of the dollars used to pay for these tests may go to waste.

The tests would have to be completely random and the people would have to be watched during the test.

Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    The only issue I see with it is criminals are not dumb....many of them know how to pass a drug screen. I'm afraid many of the dollars used to pay for these tests may go to waste.

The tests would have to be completely random and the people would have to be watched during the test.
    Looks like Floridas little dance with drug testing welfare applicants was a flop that cost the state money. Georgia, on hearing of the failure of the program in Florida, has said it will press on with its own identical program.
    One things for _______ sure, ________ rock didnt land on ______ sorry ___. That ___ __ _ _____ wasnt nowhere near _______ a _______ years ago. __ aint even a ______, __ is half _______ and half ________.

yes

hearthman is offline AOP Committee/Professional Member*
    I think mandatory drug screening should start with the POTUS, SCOTUS and Congress then filter down to every elected official then anyone in public service or anyone taking money from the tax coffers. If you pee positive, you are on a 30 day probation. If you fail again, you lose your office and must enter rehab. Boy, we'd turn the whole country into clinics...

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    I think mandatory drug screening should start with the POTUS, SCOTUS and Congress then filter down to every elected official then anyone in public service or anyone taking money from the tax coffers. If you pee positive, you are on a 30 day probation. If you fail again, you lose your office and must enter rehab. Boy, we'd turn the whole country into clinics...
    I absolutely agree, although if pot is legalized in that state then that person gets a pass. Vets also get a pass, but they must show that they are seeking help. I'm not sure our current system will supply that to them, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by zxcb View Post
    I absolutely agree, although if pot is legalized in that state then that person gets a pass. Vets also get a pass, but they must show that they are seeking help. I'm not sure our current system will supply that to them, unfortunately.
    This raises an interesting question:

If a state legalizes pot... can an employer dismiss your or refuse to hire you if you test positive for pot?
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

jpsmith1cm is offline Global Moderator/AOP Committee
    I think that drug testing is a ploy to make welfare more palatable to working stiffs like us.

"Hey, we gotta pass a piss test to make their money, why shouldn't they have to take one to get it?"

It's idiotic.

As a couple of other posters have already stated, either restructure or eliminate these programs.

I don't have a problem with 'earned' benefits, although some of those programs will have to be restructured or they aren't going to be economically feasible.

jpsmith1cm is offline Global Moderator/AOP Committee
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post

If a state legalizes pot... can an employer dismiss your or refuse to hire you if you test positive for pot?
    Pot is still illegal on a federal level.

If they can't dismiss you, they can call and report you to the feds, get you arrested, THEN dismiss you for not reporting to work on-time

Interesting, I never though of it from and employers point of view. Perhaps a whole new discussion could be started on that one

In my opinion, that should be up to the employer.

In my opinion, that should be up to the employer.
    I agree... however we know how govt just LOVES to tell folks what to do... most of the time what they say is WRONG-headed.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

I am in one of these states and we had a meeting specifically on this subject.

It is an employer's policy that dictates this and yes, test positive and you are gone!!!

it is still illegal per federal law.

As for the original question, Heck YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

if I have to pass a test for my money, so should those collecting in any other form.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

There is no law currently on the books that is forcing employers to fire drug addicts. They do it because it is good business sense to fire people that are massive liabilities to the company. I think drugs should be legal but I also think if a company finds that your an addict they should be able to fire you. I don't think the form of addiction matters either. Drugs, alcohol, gambling, or cigarettes, its all the same.. If you are addicted to anything your a liability.

Like I said before, carrier welfare recipients all ready know how to get around drug tests. This is just a fell good measure that keeps people from dealing with the real problems. The real discussion should be on how to make sure only people in real need are on these programs, or eliminate them all together. Drug testing is just a ploy to keep people from seeing the real problem.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast