Thread: Loud Blower

Post Likes

Loud Blower

I have a newer Rheem RGTM10EBRJS down flow configured system. The in-slab duct work in my 2100 square foot rancher home appears to be small and the system itself is oversized for my home. Consequently, when the blower kicks on the system is very loud. Short of relocating the duct work (which is expensive) what can be done to alleviate the noise?
    Thanks in advance.

Post Likes
    Not much you can do. That furnace wants to move a lot of air to be efficient and not overheat. Your dealer can reduce blower speed slightly but I wouldn't expect much difference in air noise.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Is there any way I can slow down the blower? I believe there are dip switches that need to be adjusted I just don't know which ones.

Thanks

Post Likes
    First of all, that furnace is huge! 105,000 btu. 95% efficient. WOW That furnace has the biggest blower Rheem makes.

Suggest having the installation company return and adjust blower switches, not a homeowner task.

Where is the furnace located and explain what the return ducting is like. might have something done there?

Also what size a/c do you own?
    As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another Proverbs 27:17 NIV84

Post Likes
    Yeah I think I got massively oversold. I have two returns, both are in the ceiling, one is quite large (24"x36" or so) and it is located about 40-50 away from the unit. The other return is small at 12"x12" and it's located 5 ft from the unit. The A/C is a 3.5 ton 18 seer.

Post Likes
    Run duct work to your neighbors, the furnace is large enough to heat their homes. LOL:

You can have them wire it up to be on low speed heat all the time. BTW, if its a Rheem 18 seer, they only come in 2-3-4-5 ton, not 3.5ton which seems awfully large also.
    As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another Proverbs 27:17 NIV84

Post Likes
    How many square feet should that unit be able to heat and cool? The reason I ask is I'm putting a sizeable addition on my house (about 1400 square feet). Maybe my current unit could handle everything?

Post Likes
    You existing furnace should be adequate for this addition, but how are you planning on getting the ductwork into the addition. "In slab" ductwork does not usually lend itself to expansion plans. What type of "in slab" ductwork do you have? (What is the ductwork made from?).

Post Likes
    The addition is being build on top of the part of my rancher where the slab ducts are. I was thinking I could run all new duct work between the preexisting first floor and the new to be added second floor. The ducts that would service the old part of the house and the addition. I would decommission the slab ducts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in