Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Bottom Line ...

Does everyone think that the problem is with the blower motor / cap?

This company that installed it is not a small company. I have to think that they will have techs that know how to do it right. I must have gotten someone that was less skilled ... or there was a gimmick being played to move me toward buying a new furnace. Anyway, at this point I am more knowledgable and paying attention. Does it make sense to call them back and ask them to fix it?

G23 at 125K

motor is 1/2 HP, 1075 RPM with 7.5 MFD cap per Lennox

speeds available on that motor are 4 and it should be on yellow or second lowest for Q3/4
    or blue or second highest for Q5/6

sounds like less than knowledgeable and less than caring people have had their hands on this unit.

time to find, via word of mouth or Lennox website or this website's contractor locator, someone who will get it right.

as for new furnace, that is just BS (from my position/location). the test done sounds like a combustion analysis, but with poor explanation to you or lack of understanding on the tech's part.
    one more reason to find someone else.

large company does NOT mean they are any better than smaller in any way - skills, ethics, etc!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

They may have a warranty of 90 days and I would ask for a senior tech, be as nice to the guy as possible they usually want to help more when they are treated well. You may have got a new tech just learning and by shear luck he made it spin.

Re: Filter ... it is a 20x25 filter required. Udarrell, can you advise what kind of filter I should be using?

It sounds like this could be adding to the problem. But if the blower motor should be running at high speed during heat then I know that is not the case. So it seems like the core problem is still related to the motor.

Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Whats with this brown wire? must be just an extra wire.

on these units this is only used for an accessory hook up, so it is normal to see this.

some also have it hanging in the wire bundle coming out of the control panel.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Question for pacnw ...

It sounds like you are familiar with these units.

Should the blue, yellow and brown wires coming off of the motor be wired together? I have not paid attention to where all of those wires go, but from the motor they are all wired together into a bundle. I can send an image if that is helpful.

I just looked at the wiring again on the motor.

The yellow, brwon and blue wires are all connected together and do not go anywhere. Just left hanging at the bottom of the compartment.

The black and white are obviously connected to the circut board or I would not have any power. The red one is connected to terminal H on the circuit board.

That is how the motor is wired. It sounds like it might not be wired correctly if the yellow one should be connected. In that case, should all of the others simply be connected together?

It still seems like a call to the motor installation company is in order.

Red is the speed it's set on look on the door, which is low I think, a temp rise test would solve it.

Rather help guide you to correct speed.

I am looking at the electrical diagram from inside the door.

It shows the blower leads as follows:
    1. White = Common
    2. Black = Cool
    3. Red = Heat
    4. no color given = not used
    5. no color given = not used
    6. no color given = looks like it might be able to be used. The diagram shows it connected to Heat too and allows for a switch (S68-1) to close and connect to "CF" on the drawing.

There is also a note that says ...
    If Heating and low speed are to be the same, connect the jumper between S68-1 and A15-H as shown. Remove unused motor speed wire. S68 3rd speed on/off switch is an optional kit.

It sounds like the tech did not connect a jumper ... not sure how to look for this. But only the red wire is connected to the board ... other than black and white. So I'm guessing that the red wire is low speed and the system is not jumping up to a higher speed to move more air across the heat exchanger.

Just noticed the Blower Speed Chart on the diagram.

It shows Cooling for my model to be lead wire 2 (Black). For Heating it shows lead wire 4 ... not sure of the color for this wire. I have a feeling that lead wires 4, 5 or 6 could be wired as the diagram appears to show for #6.

Not sure if there is a jumper issue or not to connect S68-1 to A15-H as mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by jimdavisjr View Post
    Lennox G23 Q3/4 - 125 - 4
    The motor should be a 1/2 HP motor, if that's what's in there then *probably* the 7.5uf capacitor is correct, unless he used a GE motor.

Even rescue motors come wired for the correct rotation for that application, so that's probably not the problem.

My guess is he used a 1/3hp or the wrong speed tap is connected

Quote Originally Posted by jimdavisjr View Post
    Just noticed the Blower Speed Chart on the diagram.

It shows Cooling for my model to be lead wire 2 (Black). For Heating it shows lead wire 4 ... not sure of the color for this wire. I have a feeling that lead wires 4, 5 or 6 could be wired as the diagram appears to show for #6.

Not sure if there is a jumper issue or not to connect S68-1 to A15-H as mentioned above.
    The "leads 4,5,6" indicate positions in the jack plug from the original motor, which I believe you said wasn't used anymore, which is correct.
    Never mind any jumpers or anything else, the new motor's red wire should not be used for heating operation, and the black wire should be on the A terminal.
    It's fine if the unused speed tap wires are not connected and bound together, as long as they're not physically connected together, or touching anything else.
    You could very likely get shocked if you mess around with this after what the last guy did.
    Call them back in!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast