Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    How do figure she got screwed on price? We aren't allowed to make a profit? We need to make a living too.

She may have gotten screwed on installation quality but I doubt that she got screwed on price.

Ill let you in on a little trade secret.

Go ahead and get a bigger one while you're at it. They re only a couple hundred more.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post
    How do figure she got screwed on price? We aren't allowed to make a profit? We need to make a living too.

She may have gotten screwed on installation quality but I doubt that she got screwed on price.
    Whew guess we both got a little jumpy on that comment

Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post

Go ahead and get a bigger one while you're at it. They re only a couple hundred more.

You're pulling his leg, right?

A good contractor will measure your house to do a load calculation to determine the proper size for your system. He should also check the duct system to make sure it is adequate.

Logic is I can't afford what she got charged at this point, and I'm seeing the sets for 1/4 of what she paid. Charging 3x what the hardware cost seems like it should more than pay for two guys to replace a system in a day (about 12 hrs labor), cover the ancillaries (transitions, con' pump, drip tray, return grille, line flush -- we did get a high $$ t'stat in the package), pay the sales guy, and put money in the boss' pocket. Don't know what the itemized cost breakout is. But a lot of the 25 years I've been an I.T. guy have been spent on one of my least favorite areas: cost accounting. The "no pricing discussion on here" thing is frustrating.

I spoke with their sales assistant after the tech left, and she implied it would likely be in a range that I find a lot more palatable. Hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised.

ACK! Just read 76.1 KWH @ $7.29 since midnight on emerg' heat! May have to turn the stupid thing down to barely above freezing and find someone to crash with for a few days.

-w

I was thinking about bumping from a 1.5 ton to 2.0; it has had trouble keeping up in the last 11 years. But I guess those naysayers that warn I'll have under-sized ductwork, poor dehumidification, poor equipment life from short-cycling, and higher electricity costs don't know their stuff like you Yes, I'm know you're just puillin' my leg.

And I told 'em they can use 1.5 ton for convenience on the quote, but I want a proper manual-J with whom ever gets the contract!

Peace! And Happy New Year!

-Wayne

So you going to use a company to perform a "free" load calculation, purchase the system online, half ass install it yourself, then call that same company and ask them to complete a donkey install of a website system for pennies?

Good luck. I don't know of any GOOD contractor who would agree to this. You may find one but he will more than likely be off Craigslist and your install will end up on the wall of shame.

Please rethink this strategy. Read the following sentence carefully.

A cheap botched base model install will cost you more in repair and electric bills then an expensive correct install with premium equipment.

So you going to use a company to perform a "free" load calculation, purchase the system online, half ass install it yourself, then call that same company and ask them to complete a donkey install of a website system for pennies?
    No! Sorry if I'm just tickin' y'all off. I said I briefly considered the self install thing but ruled it out; but will use the raw hardware prices as one tool to evaluate & compare whatever quotes I get. And I've got a friend with the load-calc software that would do it for me if I wanted -- should see the Mansion he recently completed!

-w

I'm not getting ticked. I just want to make sure you are well aware of what could happen if you went that route. I may be a bit more blunt than some other contractors.

I don't think comparing raw material price to your quote is fair. There are many expenses that you (as the homeowner) overlook. Example: training, warranty claims, and many more. I really hope you get a fair price. Get several quotes and pick the best and most competent company (not brand).
    Last edited by Brent Ridley; 12-31-2012 at 11:29 PM.

I'm not getting ticked. I just want to make sure you are well aware of what could happen if you went that route. I may be a bit more blunt than some other contractors.

I don't think comparing raw material price to your quote is fair. There are many expenses that you (as the homeowner) overlook. Example: training, warranty claims, and many more. I really hope you get a fair price. Get several quotes and pick the best and most competent company (not brand).
    Ya, basically ditto this guy said throughout the thread.

By the way, you have no warranty on any internet purchases.
    They "claim" you have a warranty.
    What they don't tell you, is the warranty is through a third party they have, not the manufacturer.

If you want a replacement part, you have to have documentation that a pro put it in, and diagnosed it.
    Then you send in for the part and wait.
    Then you get the part and pay the pro to come back out and reinstall it.

Or they advance you the part, and you still have to pay to have it installed.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

What alot of people don't understand is the amount of time picking up supplies, time planning and going over all the material, built in 1yr labor warranty even if a part fails that was not their fault, building duct, going back if neccessary, etc. I sometimes spend several hrs on a job before I drive up.

Everyone is entitled to make a profit and a good living, except the HVAC guys. Now it's off to a restruant to spend $1.79 to $2.50 for a Pepsi with my dinner.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast