Thread: combustion spillage

Post Likes

combustion spillage

I just learned I had a bad install on a Carrier 2-stage found by a factory authorized service tech. The installer wired it wrong so it could
    never fire up on the high setting ever. Would this have caused combustion fumes to enter the house? Service tech said fumes could
    enter the house this way, but it doesn't sound quite right to me. He said the furnace needed to fire up in the high setting to create a good seal.
    Could the heat exchanger be faulty? I smelled odors coming from the vents and had trouble breathing. The installer blew me off.

Yes, I did my homework before having this unit installed and still got a bad install. I plan to call the installer's boss to complain.

Post Likes
    Shouldn't cause fumes to come into house.

Post Likes
    The simple answer is no - low fire vents the same way as high fire.
    As for "smelling odors" - every new furnace we have installed (as well as new heat exchangers) upon its first firing burns off the oil which is on the HX. This makes smoke and often activates smoke alarms. Every new one.
    From your description it doesn't sound like a bad installation. The installer just didn't set a DIP switch properly.

Post Likes
    Sounds like the installer made a simple mistake, and there was never threat of injury or damage.

"factory authorized service tech" doesn't exactly mean anything. Just means that he went to a class.
    Only reason I mention this, is he full of crap.

Every furnace has a bad smell when you start them up for the first time.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    That's the stupidest thing I've heard in awhile lol. An oversized furnace may spend the majority of its life on low fire. Our trane xv95 calls for a jumper wire when used with a single stage stat, they Could have done something as minor as forgetting it.

Post Likes
    they could have installed a unit that was toooooooooooo big for the house(got a good deal on it and made a profit on you) and running in high fire would short cycle.

or, as stated, they simply and honestly forgot to do something.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in