Thread: Another new member

Post Likes

Another new member

Hello to all. I've visited this site several times in the past and decided recently to join. Been in the Industry for approx. 28 yaers. Earlier years in the residential and light commercial sector. Service / Installation Mgr. from 1989 - 2001. Technical Instructor for 2 1/2 years. Before becoming an Instructor I did obtain several Nate Certifications. Love this Industry. I did obtain my type A HVAC contractors liscense a couple of years ago.I can still remember where I came from, why some things are hard to grasp and understand. I feel at times we tend to run off good future prospects (future technicians) by not remembering when we ourselves first got started in this Industry and at times being somewhat harsh or arrogant in our responses to them. Anyway enough of that, nice to meet everyone.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    welcome aboard
    unfortunately some of the new crop of techs have an illusion in their minds of what they are going to get into; and so thin skinned & spineless that they won't make the effort necessary when their allusion bubble is burst.
    good techs don't have a problem teaching/showing/guiding motivated youngsters that are willing to work.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Hello, I suppose this is the right place to begin. first of all, greeting from India. I honestly dont know if there is another forum to post for international members.

Now that it is out of the way, I'll like to just say a couple of things about myself.

I am very new to this field. I need more than just plain luck to survive, I guess. I am going to take over my fathers business in a year or so. He isnt connected to this line either. He is basically a double graduate (science and engineering - a pure science grad and has a metallurgy specialization from the most prestigious school here known for research - IISC). He started a firm in about '76 which basically dealt with centrifugal pumps and branched into other areas of specialization. Due to various unfortunate incidents and turn of events, beyond his control, he was forced to quit that business. He turned into this profession (HVAC) in early 2000 and mainly focuses on another water treatment business (which interests him much more). Thats enough about him. :lol:

I am a college dropout, who somehow managed to scrap out a bachelors economic degree over the years. I have no science/engineering background and I dont consider myself as a talented/intelligent individual. So, like I said before, I will certainly need to scrap it out the VERY hard way. (: . I dont mind, but I wanted to listen to the stories of all you techs and experienced professionals out there. After sifting through the forums, I was daunted by the kind of data and technical expertise that members here possess.

I dont just want to market my products. I like to be my own boss, alright. But, I dont mind sweating it out with my techs (who are quite knowledgable, in my experience.). I do know, college level, algebra, calculus, real analysis etc. Thermodynamics, not much. So, what advice do all of you have to give me? I also understand that on -site experience is different from all the theory stuff.I am a patient listener, so let the suggestions flow.

Keshav - Bangalore,Karnataka, India

Post Likes
    We have been dealing with Blue Star (a name Americans will not be familiar with) range of airconditiong and refrigeration products. In the PAD (packaged A/c divion), we deal with only ducted AC's of Carrier. One name, I havent talked about at all, is NTF. ntfice[dot].it =these icemakers/flakers/snowmakers- all imported from italy by blue star].Also, I see that ISA [another italian company dealing with display freezers and coolers, display cabinets etc - previously imported by Blue star Ltd] does not get a mention here. We are now also working with Celfrost (Celcius India) which deals with Manitowoc ice products (very popular here :yes) and Vestfrost (denmark) machines for ultra low temp freezers, medical refrigeration grade products.

I must confess, that all these products give me the creeps. I am not comfortable with any of these. I cannot fully understand the basic refrigeration cycle myself. Physics - thermodymanics, in particular is something I plan to study in detail in the coming days. Also, I only possess elementary knowledge about electronic circuits/electricity and principals. I have just started to work on this. I cannot find a suitable HVAC course here, which can maybe coast me past this tidal wave of hvac fundamentals.

How did you guys pick up the trade? Could you give me few pointers and/or suggest some learning material that I can procure to take off smoothly?

Regards,
    Keshav.

Post Likes
    dandyme,
    You are correct. There are alot of new techs that feel as you've stated. I remember when I went to Vo-Tech back in the early 80's. Our Instructor early on the first day made three marks on the dry erase board, not saying a thing. The first mark was just that, a mark on the very bottom of the board. The second started at the bottom and went up about a foot. The third mark went from the bottom all the way to the top. Sometime after later that afternoon he asked us if we were wondering what the 3 marks were on the board. We responded with a "yes". He said the first mark indicates what we know at that very moment technically in the HVACR industry. The second mark is what we will know if we stay in the industry until retirement. The third is what we would know if we knew absolutely everything there is to know. He said don't ever think you are in that third column, because you never will be and if you think you are there you will have stopped learning because in your mind you already know it all. Just wanted to apologize that I posted two introductions. The first one did not show up for me when I went to check it. After I reposted and realized both were there I could not edit or delete either one. I did go to faq and it said the administrator may have that capability turned off. Thanks for your response.

Post Likes
    keshav,
    Did I understand you correctly that your Father is the owner of a company and wishes for you to take over after he retires? If so you are in a situation that most people only dream of. If this is where your heart is. This industsy can be a Beast if you allow it to control you and you not control it. He surely would help you find an appropriate schools to attend. If he at this time has focused his main attention on water treatment that's even more incentive for you. Surely he would either still operate the business then slowly phase you into that position, and I am sure he would want to remain on the payroll to supplement his retirement. Possibly staying on simply as an advisor and help monitor the books. This would not require much of his time and allow him time to get comfortable with you in the drivers seat. I would also strongly suggest getting some books or info on dealing with people ie. customers, techs, office staff. You will do fine as long as you have the proper techs with strong technical abilities, and you have the proper people and managment skills. Your customers ALWAYS come first then your employees, if you follow this guideline your company will do great. To many companies put themselves first then the customers and / or employees. Running a company no matter how large is no different thean running your own personal budget. It's just more complicated and on a grander scale, you can't give the house away and good employees want to always have job security with good pay and benefits. Good luck

Post Likes
    Hey Guys.....I'm new to the site, and am still learning navigation, rules, etc. I have been in the HVAC industry for seven years. This is my second career, the first one being a Project Manager for a commercial contractor. Got tired of constantly having to "modify" my belief system, so I changed careers. It was the best decision I have ever made. Anyway, mainly worked commercial, but started in residential. I am NATE certified, and have my Mechanical license in Alabama. Even after seven years, I still consider myself a neophyte, but also may have something to offer. Glad to be here.

Post Likes
    waregl82,
    Welcome to the site also. No matter how new we are we all bring something to the table. What we lack in technical skills while being new to the industry, we may excell in customer skills or by having a positive attitude. Some senior techs get that premadonna attitude and really rub the customers the wrong way.

Post Likes
    Thanks COOPE, I appreciate the welcome. Had my own truck for a while where I work, but I'm still "joruneyboy". Fortunetely, I have always had a quest for knowledge, which I pursue. I have found that expierence is extremely important, and there is no substitute or anyway to speed the process. Gonna keep learning day by day and keep my mind open. Thanks for the encouragement.
    waregl82

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by COOPE View Post
    keshav,
    Did I understand you correctly that your Father is the owner of a company and wishes for you to take over after he retires? If so you are in a situation that most people only dream of. If this is where your heart is. This industsy can be a Beast if you allow it to control you and you not control it. He surely would help you find an appropriate schools to attend. If he at this time has focused his main attention on water treatment that's even more incentive for you. Surely he would either still operate the business then slowly phase you into that position, and I am sure he would want to remain on the payroll to supplement his retirement. Possibly staying on simply as an advisor and help monitor the books. This would not require much of his time and allow him time to get comfortable with you in the drivers seat. I would also strongly suggest getting some books or info on dealing with people ie. customers, techs, office staff. You will do fine as long as you have the proper techs with strong technical abilities, and you have the proper people and managment skills. Your customers ALWAYS come first then your employees, if you follow this guideline your company will do great. To many companies put themselves first then the customers and / or employees. Running a company no matter how large is no different thean running your own personal budget. It's just more complicated and on a grander scale, you can't give the house away and good employees want to always have job security with good pay and benefits. Good luck
    Thanks Coops, for all the kind words and advice. I must be prepared for the most daunting challenge of my entire life. I believe that, this could turn me from the timid, confused person that I am , into someone confident and knowledgable (worthy,for a lack of a better word) Sorry that I took a long time to reply.I am I hope you are not the kind to get offended. It is great to have inputs from experienced, industry vets like you.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dandyme View Post
    welcome aboard
    unfortunately some of the new crop of techs have an illusion in their minds of what they are going to get into; and so thin skinned & spineless that they won't make the effort necessary when their allusion bubble is burst.
    good techs don't have a problem teaching/showing/guiding motivated youngsters that are willing to work.
    i have seen alot of good tech come from schools. unfortionatly i have seen more cocky ones. you know, the ones that think they know more than you because they had 6 months of schooling. these are the ones you strugle to teach.

Post Likes
    Amen snupytcb,
    you are exactly right, we need to be more humble. I like dandyme's saying ..."It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt".

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dandyme View Post
    welcome aboard
    My bubble is still burstng.

Post Likes
    very well said. my wife tells me to shut uo all the time. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by COOPE View Post
    Amen snupytcb,
    you are exactly right, we need to be more humble. I like dandyme's saying ..."It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt".

Post Likes
    Welcome coope!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in