Well this is the first really cold snap since installation of my trane XV90 gas upflow furnace.
    It has been below freezing for a couple days and I have noticed icicles forming off the exhaust fixture on the side of the house.
    Now I realise there is going to be some ice forming in this area as I understand condensation is the result of combustion and exposure to the cold air.
    But today I broke off the 1.5 foot long icicle and with in 6 hours I had another 1.5 foot icicle handing from the fixture.
    I also realise that relative humidity and air temp will have an effect on the amount of ice forming , but my question is does this much ice in such a short period of time seem a bit unusual?
    Should I have this much water(condensation)coming from my exhaust PVC? Can this be and indication of a problem with the install or operation of the furnace I.E. correct PVC diameter, length ? The PVC pipe from the furnace to the outside is approx. 14 feet maybe less.
    Any ideas ?
    Thanks

[Edited by vmax 90 on 12-05-2006 at 01:14 AM]

You'rE fine as long as the PVC is run slightly up hill to leveL.

90% furnaces produce a lot of condensate and the icicles will form more prevantly in deeper temps.

Are you saying the PVC should run slightly uphill fron the furnace to the outside ?
    Why would this be a benefit?
    Thanks

Drainage back to the furnace on the off cycle.

As long as the pipe is at least level, then you would not have any problems.

Either way, I was asking just to make sure, it's not related to icicles.

Originally posted by vmax 90
    Are you saying the PVC should run slightly uphill fron the furnace to the outside ?
    Why would this be a benefit?
    Thanks
    It needs to run uphill from the furnace so that the condensate that forms inside the PVC vent runs back to the furnace drain.
    If it is going downhill, to much condensate will run outside and freeze in/on the end of the pipe. There will be some water dribbling out the end due to the fact that the flue gasses are moving at a good clip, but you don't want to much running out or the ice can block the exhaust.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Are you able to take a picture of what type of set up you have outside?

Ice hanging wil be normal, But if you get 6' of ice, then kinda tells us that you don't have enough pitch back towards the furnace.

Thanks for the replies. I don't have a digital camera so I can't take a photo. I have the flat oval plate that has the exhaust going all the way through and the intake is behind the front plate. I think this is the plate that comes with the Trane XV90. I did check and there is some pitch back to the furnace of the PVC I can't tell you haw many degrees but the level indicates pitch back.
    BTW does this oval exhaust plate come with the Trane furnace ?
    Or is this something the installer used as an aftermarket exhaust?
    Thanks again

The plate is called BAYVENT. It's up to the dealer if they want to use this, and lot of Trane dealer uses this to give a better look.

Here is mine, we've been in the single digit the last few morning, so I have more frost/ice on mine.

Taken with my cell camera, sorry for poor image.

There is nothing to worry about.

Wow mayguy that looks like what I have got except I have more ice hanging.
    I checked and everything seems to be good. The up slope of the PVC looks to be within the 1/4 inch per foot. The installer used 2 inch pvc from the furnace to the couplers then 3 inch to the bayvent.
    Is 2 inch pvc the correct diameter pipe for the XV90?
    My XV90 is the 60.000 btu unit so it is the smallest XV90 trane makes.
    Again thanks for the quick feedback and taking the time to take the pics.

Oh and I have another question.
    I also had a 2 ton XL14i condenser install at the same time as the XV90.
    Some of the other contractors that gave me estimates said that they would need to add an additional one or two supply runs to create a better airflow so that the coil wouldn't have a tendency to freeze up in summer.
    The contractor that did my job said instead of running additional runs he was going to increase the size of the four existing runs from six inch to seven inch diameter runs.
    This is what he did. My question is this an acceptable way of increasing airflow so the coil won't have a tendency to frost up?

Quarter inch per foot is more than adequate for drainage beck to furnace.

If the pipe were uphill from wall termination I think you would have had some lock out problems from water pooling in PVC pipe.

Those termination are nice looking but don't work well in my market.

We have to come out at the basement plate which is never above snow line.

We have to install a one foot riser and a ninety degree termination.

Icicles are monstrous around here too.

Your is done the same as mine, I have 2" up to 3" coupling at the BAYVENT. There is going to be some water from the 3" pipe that will drain out of the front. Mine did have a large ice yesterday, but it fell off.