Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Don't bad mouth anyone! Sometimes tricky to talk around when discussing why you are leaving current job - but rehearse and be ready with a positive response. Just keep it all about your desire to keep growing - you've become quite competent in residential, and while you have experience in commercial, you'd like to spend more time honing your commercial savvy...

Something like that. Just believe in what you are saying and you will sound honest. It's much harder to lie and it usually shows...

Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    I have an interview next week at our largest hvac contractor in the area. Any advise? I really need a change so I would like to make the best impression possible. Does anyone have and do's and don'ts?
    hey, where's the interview? just kidding good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by upant View Post
    hey, where's the interview? just kidding good luck!
    Lol thanks, well see what happens, hoping I don't have to take a pay cut lol

Quote Originally Posted by Economaster View Post
    Research the company. Know as much as you can about them. Ask lots of open ended questions - don't ask "yes" and "no" questions. Have them prepared and take notes during the interview. Everyone is right about getting the other person to talk more. If you move forward in the process ask to talk with other employees. Can't stress knowing as much as you can about the company before you go in. Good luck!

very interesting idea to take notes while being interviewed. Does that show you are a very serious candidate? Would you also suggest that for someone interviewing as a helper?

-Don't use Yes/No answers. even if its "yes sir, i believe i do" as opposed to "yes"
    -Know as much as you can about the company and the position
    -NEVER cut off interviewer ( i agree with letting the interviewer talk as much as possible
    -be polished and professional
    -Make sure intelligence, hunger, and determination come through from you
    -Show and prove you are willing and wanting to learn everything you can about HVAC and the company protocol

Well had my interview today and I think it went great! We talked about this and that, told me I'm pretty much guaranteed to stay busy and if not I could do installs or commercial construction. He told me he liked what he was hearing from me. They were looking for a senior tech more than anything but I told him I love to learn and would do whatever I needed to. I have to call him back tomorrow for his decision but I'm thinking because they are so back logged that it will go in my favor.
    Thanks for the input guys, if it weren't for this place I wouldn't be the tech I am today!

He told me he liked what he was hearing from me.
    Well, that's one of us...
    Glad it went well
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Well, that's one of us...
    Glad it went well
    Thanks, left feeling pretty good about it. I am not looking forward to telling my boss if I do get it, I'm "the guy", its really his fault in a way by not keeping me busy.

good luck.... hope everything works out for you..... keep us posted.....
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Thanks, hope I don't have to follow up with shame lol

nothing to be ashamed about..... move here lots of work...... never mind its a millon below here...lol
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Quote Originally Posted by carmon View Post
    nothing to be ashamed about..... move here lots of work...... never mind its a millon below here...lol
    Only a million? Pretty average for here to lol

Thanks, left feeling pretty good about it. I am not looking forward to telling my boss if I do get it, I'm "the guy", its really his fault in a way by not keeping me busy.
    Isn't it funny how many of us, for whatever reason, have come to even despise various positions over the years, harbor a bad attitude for months, get up the courage to leave, follow thru with it etc...

And still end up dreading telling the boss you are leaving?

Good luck...fingers crossed fo ya'.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast