Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Hybrid View

Owners advise on interview

I have an interview next week at our largest hvac contractor in the area. Any advise? I really need a change so I would like to make the best impression possible. Does anyone have and do's and don'ts?

be positive and motivated. Don't bring up money until they do.

The more you let them talk the better their impression of you. People love to talk about themselves.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

Quote Originally Posted by air1 View Post
    The more you let them talk the better their impression of you. People love to talk about themselves.
    Lol that's a good one!

I wonder why employers do that- wait until someone is going to quit before they start thinking about giving them a raise? If you value a trusted and competent worker, why wait until he or she is ready to walk out the door before you recognize their efforts? Happened to me once with a large HVAC company. A gentleman that was the head of operations said the same thing- "What's it going to take to keep you here?" Then he kept raising aloud the rate of my hourly wage but I kept refusing as I did not like the direction the company was headed and some of their unscrupulous practices. Crap, he ended up going as high as 8 dollars per hour more than my present wage. But it wasn't about the money for me. I like to be able to go to bed at night with a clean conscience. Glad I didn't take him up on it as the company pretty much went down in flames a couple of years after I left.

Easy answer?!? Out of sight, out of mind... Until we squeak about compensation, nothing's going to get greased!

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonianite View Post
    I wonder why employers do that- wait until someone is going to quit before they start thinking about giving them a raise? If you value a trusted and competent worker, why wait until he or she is ready to walk out the door before you recognize their efforts? Happened to me once with a large HVAC company. A gentleman that was the head of operations said the same thing- "What's it going to take to keep you here?" Then he kept raising aloud the rate of my hourly wage but I kept refusing as I did not like the direction the company was headed and some of their unscrupulous practices. Crap, he ended up going as high as 8 dollars per hour more than my present wage. But it wasn't about the money for me. I like to be able to go to bed at night with a clean conscience. Glad I didn't take him up on it as the company pretty much went down in flames a couple of years after I left.

Anything else?

There's research that shows that the less you talk and the more the interviewer talks the better impression they will have of you. It's no joke. If you cut them off when they are trying to say something because you're trying to impress them with how much they know they'll think you're arrogant. Ask good questions and allow them to talk about themselves and they will think you are smart. It's better to remain silent and let them think you an idiot, than to speak and remove all doubt. You know what I mean. Sometimes by talking too much you can talk yourself out of a job. A skilled interviewer will give you enough rope to hang yourself.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain

Above all else, be honest and have a positive attitude. A knowledgeable interviewer will know if you're BSing him/her. Shower, shave, brush your teeth and wear clean clothes. Research commonly asked questions asked in interviews and have prepared answers. They'll ask you "why do you want to work here?","Give us an example of a difficult situation and how you handled it.", "why should we hire you?". You get the picture. Be prepared, neat, honest, and you'll do fine.

That's good sound advise, I'm nervous because they are known for commercial work but do resi, I have mostly done resi service. I hope it all goes well and hope they feel like I'm qualified enuf.

Quote Originally Posted by air1 View Post
    There's research that shows that the less you talk and the more the interviewer talks the better impression they will have of you. It's no joke. If you cut them off when they are trying to say something because you're trying to impress them with how much they know they'll think you're arrogant. Ask good questions and allow them to talk about themselves and they will think you are smart. It's better to remain silent and let them think you an idiot, than to speak and remove all doubt. You know what I mean. Sometimes by talking too much you can talk yourself out of a job. A skilled interviewer will give you enough rope to hang yourself.
    Good to know!

Good luck bud
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Good luck bud
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast