+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Moving up?

Post Likes

Moving up?

So I just started doing duct work for this company that hired me to get my foot in the door, but all my guys that I work for say that the "duck men" are different than the actual hvac/r guys. They all seem pretty content where they are at in their job, but to me it's not challenging enough. It's not physically or mentally demanding. I did the same stuff as a maintenance mechanic at Cargill. So my question is, how do you get into the A/C heating side of things or at least some way to get a better foothold in that direction? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post Likes
    Well, first off if you don't think installing "ducks" is physically or mentally challenging then you have haven't been on the job long enough and haven't had any real experience with large commercial projects. Rest assured, it's plenty challenging.

Second, if you want to get into the service side you have to learn the theory of the refrigeration cycle like the back of your hand along with the fundamentals of AC and DC current. My best guess is it takes 10 years minimum to be a well rounded technician.
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Post Likes
    I did a lot of research prior to getting into HVAC almost a year ago. I only made one promise to myself when it came to my first HVAC job--no way I was going to start on a residential install crew as a helper. I am in my mid 30's and treasure my one good knee and strong back. Since day one I've been helping with residential service, installs/change outs, light commercial ac/heating, walk ins, reach ins and ice machines. Getting on with a very small company that does more than just residential will expose you to a huge variety of equipment and troubleshooting scenarios. Another plus is all the drive time when we are running service...not just because I'm getting paid to sit on my arse. Drive time is a great time to pick your tech's brain. Bugging someone while they're scratching their head over a problem will just annoy them, but asking them why after they've already fixed it is getting paid to learn. Get a few text books, read them, then apply for a helper's position at a company that does the type of work that you want to learn.

Post Likes
    Assuming you went to tech school I say take advantage of the situation you are in. You have a job in the industry that I bet 90% of the students in your class wish they had. Suck up the knowledge. I started out as an Installer and still am 80% of the time. What I did was ask my boss If I could assist in the wiring, piping, press testing, evacuation etc. When we got slow I would help with the other divisions. My drive to learn is what got me where I am today. Assuming you like the company your with just not the actual job ask for other responsibilities as they arise. Ask questions about the next step. By the way, There has been a good living made by many from installing duct work if your good at it. That will not happen if you complain about your situation.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Post Likes
    Can you fab duct? When I started hvac I did all the demo and reinstall, Hanging square duct ain't so bad but when you have to turn a corner and get under that pipe or whatever in the way then back up to the hole in the wall. Point being I went from the grunt to drawing up fittings and fab work, know I use that knowledge on installs so I'm happy I did it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in