Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMS Panel

BMS Panel

This project is really just getting started but the BMS panel came out so nice.

I am just waiting on the network switch to come in so I can install it and send it out to the field. I got a 15.9 inch all-in-one computer with windows 7 pro 64, a touch screen, and VSA arm wall mount that will be installed to the right of the panel. You can't see it but there is a wall plug and ethernet connection mounted on the right side of the panel.

It is not a very big project 1 chiller, 1 boiler, 5 sensors, 6 water valves, and 4 pumps on a two pipe system.

If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

nice job. i'm trying to break in to the control field from resi hvac. could you give some background on the project?

It is an apartment complex that use fan coil units to heat and cool. It is a two pipe system which means it either supplies hot water to the FCU or chilled water.

Based on the ambient temperature the system will choose boiler, chiller, or nothing. Ambient Temperature above 67°F will have a chilled water setpoint of 43°F, between 66°F - 56°F will have a chilled water setpoint of 50°F, 55°F - 48°F will be free cooling, 47°F or lower will be Hot Water at 140°F.

Depending on the change over several timers and water temperature based setpoints will allow for switching between chiller and boiler to be done slowly to prevent slamming the systems and reduce energy consumption by slowly increasing the load.

Pumps will lead/lag based on run time and alarming.

That is the basics of this design.

How long have you been messin' with Trend? What's the good/bad with them?
    "It's not that I'm smart, it's that I stay with the problem longer”
    Albert Einstein

The good:

Becoming a TREND dealer gives you dealer access and the same multiplier to several major companies; Honeywell (VFDs, valves, actuators, and pretty much every thing but chemicals and thermostats), Veris, ACI, and Functional Devices are the main ones.
    There is alot of available information. It can be difficult to find but it is there.
    I find very few quirks with TREND unlike several other systems.
    The customer service is awesome!
    I like how they built the boards. Things like no need to connect an output common directly to the neutral or ground, very few dry contacts, outputs are very adjustable, the controllers are not picky they don't fuss for minor mistakes, built in automatic reset overloads, the IQ3Xcites are very flexible allowing for quick changing of parts and abilities, very few dip switches and manual addressing, most of the controllers are multifunctional reducing need to order additional parts, the moving and removable parts don't break easily.
    Programing wise they implement alot of useful features like simulating the program, live editing and values don't drop out much, multiple downloads at once, easy copy pasting and saving of program builds for reuse, the sensors have a list of saved variables as opposed to reentering them time and time again, you can build and simulate a site with no parts, a library of commonly used programs such as VAV boxes FCU and so on, really good price on small but powerful controllers like the touchview wall sensor and controller, IQVAV controllers, IQEco, new monthly training videos, other TREND dealers like Orion
    And the training head office is 15 minutes from Jimmy Hendricks, Bruce Lee, and Brandon Lee's grave site. Plus the dealer don't seem to get snippy about asking for help from another dealer that is closer to the job site.
    Steve T. the Brit with the whit the guy who does all the training in Seattle cracks me up.

The BAD:
    Honeywell has the worst dealer ordering sites in the history of mankind.
    Honeywell parts take forever to ship.
    Honeywell customer service has the knowledge of a rock.
    Honeywell is very strict on accounts payment and cap.
    963 Supervisor is way to expensive.
    Orion's programs make mine look like drunk monkey wrote it.
    Seattle is awesome but it has the west coast cost.
    So really I just have issues with Honeywell.

For the most part it sounds pretty good! I think if I were to step out on my own looks like a good one to jump into, I guess I would have to get used to line code though (GRRR!) Thanks for the info XcelTech
    Albert Einstein

No line code drag and drop.

Graphical programming?
    Albert Einstein

Ah gotcha! Doesn't look too bad. Kinda looks like a JACE wire sheet. Is this done in the device or by an external programming app? Good thing is it's BACnet
    Albert Einstein

External software and the new IQ4NC does mstp bacnet, all the older trend propriety, and tcp/ip. Trend intergration

Thanks for the info...what is a Trend current loop? Is that there version of LON or something?
    Albert Einstein

older Trend controls had a propriety loop kinda like JCI N2. Trends loop used a 4 wire basket weave configuration for Tx- Tx+ Rx- Rx+. They still make the old controllers but the new equipment doesn't use it unless its to integrate it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast