I would like to find an inexpensive, easy to use program for doing up ladder schematics of controls. Customers/engineers want to see as-built drawings upon completion of projects. I have been doing drawings by hand and photocopying them, which does not look too professional. What do you guys use?

We use Visio exclusively for controls drawings - and its ability to import/export AutoCad files has come in handy for passing along soft copies of the drawings to mechanical contractors and engineers who don't use Visio...

Visio rocks. It's the bees knees, the cat's pajamas.
    Ok, I'll shut up.

Smile

Thx folks--much appreciated.........

TAC has a program called Project Builder that works very well. It is a Visio based program, so I guess there is another vote for Visio. The biggest thing is finding a library of stencils to speed up the process.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

How about a posting of all available visio stencils member would like to share!

Visio is what I use – but I know I guy that does it in MS draw and some use AutoCAD
    But most use Visio.

But there standard stencils – is nothing to be desired. You will have to build up a stencil library. (I think they sell a Special Electrical Eng, version – but will have to pay)
    Or some Control Manuf, have Visio templates of there product on web sites! A good place to start building from…but if you like to draw your own ladder controls – then you will like Visio! I have built up a great Stencil library – from each and every project I have done ( though takes a while) there is some third parties out there (sorry don’t know who) selling templates of typical controls stuff – that plugs into Visio- and all else fails – you can copy/paste – just about anything into your drawing as long as version #? Of Visio is up to date!

What about a ftp site for pro members to share stuff?
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

Look for the topic

"Share Your Visio Stencils Here"

I've used Smartdraw. I'ts similiar to viso. You can easily create custom blocks. Your inputs and output links move when you move your object. The key here is that when you don't need the super latest versions of software go to Ebay! www.smartdraw.com

Visio is good.... one of the guys I work with uses it.

I use Micrografx Designer

You can find them both on ebay..