+ Reply to Thread

Thread: JCI NCE stuck in startup

Post Likes

Question JCI NCE stuck in startup

An NCE has two sides to it, one is the NAE side and other is the field controller side. The field controller side (CCT) is stuck in startup, I cannot download, upload it or commission it-I have tried the JCI recommendation of powering it off five times rapidly to clear out the program.

I am not sure if NUTing it would clear out the CCT part-I know it would kill the NAE side of things-any reccomendations?

Post Likes
    Hello,

Power cycling 5 times will only clear out a corrupt program.

I haven't try this method myself, but know that JCI uses this to reset the NCE\FEC to factory mode:
    1) Remove power from the NCE controller.
    2) You need a 1.5V AA battery. Connect the POS side of the battery to the - of the FC Bus connection, and the NEG side of the battery to the + side of the FC bus connection.
    3) Ensure the EOL Termination on the NCE is OFF, and set the Address on the NCE to 4.
    4) Apply power to the NCE controller. The Fault LED should blink at a steady 1/2 Hz rate. It is now in Factory Test Mode.
    5) Remove the battery from the FC bus.
    6) Create a Hyperterminal connection as follows:

Configure the Com Port:

Bits per second: 9600
    Data bits: 8
    Parity: None
    Stop Bits: 1
    Flow Control: None

On the Settings Tab:
    Function, arrow and ctrl keys as: Terminal keys
    Backspace key sends: Ctrl+H
    Emulation: VT100
    Telnet terminal ID: VT100
    Backscroll buffer lines: 500

Also on the Settings Tab, select ASCII Setup:
    Place a check in front of Echo typed characters locally.

7) Connect to the controller using a RS-485 converter (CVTPRO100 or CVTPRO300). Use the same cable as you would when connecting to N2, on terminals +, -, and Com. On the preconfigured cable that comes with the CVT, this is +/BLU, -/WHT, Com/RED.
    8) Connect with the VT100 terminal to the controller.
    9) Send the command >04 DAPP to the controller. The Flash erase takes only a few seconds. You may or may not receive an acknowledgement - DAPP ACK. You only need to wait a few seconds before proceeding to the next step.
    10) Disconnect the RS-485 converter.
    11) Remove power from the controller. Set the EOL Termination and address as required.
    12) Apply power to the controller. The Fault LED should be on solid and the controller is now ready for a download.

NOTE: The controller will reset 2 minutes after entering Factory Test mode if no valid command has been received.

Post Likes
    The NUT Tool will not affect the FEC side of the NCE...
    UA Local 141

Post Likes
    Thanks! The first response got the job done.

Post Likes
    I tried the step you mentioned on an FEC 2611 version 6.2 (main code, boot code), however, after doing the battery thing, it does not blink for 0.5 Hz.

The FEC became unreachable after a power loss occurred while downloading.

Upon connect power, the fault led blinking at a rate of 1Hz, after a while it goes to steady off. Then like 15 minutes later, it blinks at a rate of 2 Hz. Of course it stays un-detectable on CCT during all of the previously mentioned stages.

On another, I tried to connect the RS485 port on SA bus to my computer, but all I got was junk communication that is not readable, so obviously again it did not enter the Factory Test Mode.

Any help would highly appreciated.

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in