Thread: Roof Stains caused by fuel oil dye?

Post Likes

Roof Stains caused by fuel oil dye?

I had a new roof installed on my house several years ago and the Class A chimney for the boiler was replaced shortly thereafter since it was not up to code (too short and inadequate clearance to operating window). The light gray shingles on the downslope side of the chimney now have brown tinted stains and the contractor blames the dye in the heating oil Has anyone else run into this and found a way to remove the stains without damaging shingles?

Post Likes
    i say no way, but post a pic. It's more likely condensing by the time it gets to the top. After the chimney was replaced, they shouldve done a combustion test. What was the draft at the breach, and the net stack temperature?
    Also, take a pic farther back showing chimney and surroundings.
    And if you want more advice, please post all the info about your heating unit, including nozzle size and combustion numbers.

Post Likes
    I am thinking now way it's the dye, just a mis-adjusted burner.

Post Likes
    never seen brown die in fuel oil
    could be rust stains from the flashing,pipe,collar or cap

Post Likes
    Thanks for the replies. Attached is a close up photo. I'll try to get some from further back today when I get home. The boiler is three year old Weil Mclain with Beckett burner. They did a tune up last month so will post specs from that report also. Also - the dye used here in Northeast is red in color.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jff6791 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Attached is a close up photo. I'll try to get some from further back today when I get home. The boiler is three year old Weil Mclain with Beckett burner. They did a tune up last month so will post specs from that report also. Also - the dye used here in Northeast is red in color.
    That looks like rust from the flashing to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Post Likes
    ya I know its red (not rust brown) I called this one before the pic's

Post Likes
    the roofer (or who ever changed the stack ) sure didnt do you any favors by leaving a custom made flashing in play
    buy the way you could probly get away with liquid taring it to stop that fom proceeding to a roof leak

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mechanical'al View Post
    the roofer (or who ever changed the stack ) sure didnt do you any favors by leaving a custom made flashing in play
    buy the way you could probly get away with liquid taring it to stop that fom proceeding to a roof leak

I'd say have the roofer come back and use heavy aluminum flashing instead of galvanized. The roofer was CHA.

Post Likes
    The previous photo was actually the old chimney - these pictures show the replacement. I'd agree with the flashing explanation if the stained area was confined to area down to roofline. It extends further out however suggesting a source from higher up. These are the numbers from boiler tune up a month ago:
    Weil Mclain WTGO-7
    Gross Stack Temp 460
    Net Stack Temp 400
    CO2 % 12
    Smoke 0
    Breech Draft .04
    Overfire Draft .01
    Efficiency 85%
    Nozzle 200
    Angle 60
    Spray ES
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Likes
    If its coming from the oil/dye, it should be on the snow also.

Post Likes
    its not the die why isnt it stained above the stack or on the opiste side only where water would run off downward fan out????
    was the old roof a complete tear off ???

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mechanical'al View Post
    its not the die why isnt it stained above the stack or on the opiste side only where water would run off downward fan out????
    was the old roof a complete tear off ???
    Yes - previous was removed. Valid point on upslope side of stack - little or no stains showing there. As far as snow - just got it a few days ago and little to none last winter - 10 inches total maybe.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jff6791 View Post
    The previous photo was actually the old chimney - these pictures show the replacement. I'd agree with the flashing explanation if the stained area was confined to area down to roofline. It extends further out however suggesting a source from higher up. These are the numbers from boiler tune up a month ago:
    Weil Mclain WTGO-7
    Gross Stack Temp 460
    Net Stack Temp 400
    CO2 % 12
    Smoke 0
    Breech Draft .04
    Overfire Draft .01
    Efficiency 85%
    Nozzle 200
    Angle 60
    Spray ES
    From the height of that stack those stains are not coming from the gases at the the top.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Post Likes
    in the pic's it looks as if the collar may have some discoloration another thing I have done is to cote the pieces with "spray on plasti dip" and I dont think it would be good on shingles but a watered down sulfuric acid will remove the stains so try it on a scrap piece?

Post Likes
    piece of poop flashing..... did it come out of the trash can....... use aluminum.....
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in