90% Carrier has rich gas exhaust? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    That's what I kinda plan on doing, thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gmoliver View Post
    Just took CO readings and it was off the scale, so i am a commercial HVAC guy, can you give me an idea how hard it is to change out a secondary heat exchanger and time involved?? (Still waiting to hear back from Carrier about warranty details)

Thanks
    Good find! Last one I had went over 9,000 ppm in seconds.

I just changed primary and secondary HX on a 90% Carrier today. It took about 6 hours. The secondary was plugged. CO before the repairs exceeded 2k ppm. After the repairs it was 21 ppm. And the exhaust didn't stink afterwards.

With the help of my cordless screwgun, I can do a secondary in 45 minutes and secondary and primary in an hour and a half.

After you do a few, you figure out all the tricks, such as what parts come out as entire assemblies.

Obviously those times in my previous post don't include obtaining the parts and filing the paperwork, which takes more time than the actual repair.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    over 9,000 ppm in seconds.

Yeah, get used to 58-series Carriers with bad secondaries if you do any kind of resi work ever, gmoliver. You'll get a lot of them. I work at a Carrier FA dealer so I get that joy pretty much every other day.

It really is best to try to steer the customer towards a new one. The 59's have stainless construction.

Either way, Carrier pays for 4 hours of labor to install a secondary. It takes me about half of that while going at an 'unhurried' pace.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!!!!!

We diagnose about a hundred or more " sooted " carrier 58 series furnaces every season. We order the primary's and the secondarys, as well as the coupling box. 90 percent of these furnaces were on lp gas. Some were serviced yearly and others were neglected, some were over vented, and excess air readings were too high, or too low. The smell is one you will never forget, which are aldehydes produced from incomplete combustion. I am happy that carrier has redesigned their heat exchanger recently.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12