laundry room exhaust fan, why?

Hi,
    I have a first floor washer/gas dryer room, and it happens to have an exhaust fan in the room. I don't have any moisture issues, and even in summer the room doesn't seem warm. Obviously the dryer vents to the outside.

Why is the fan there?

Would running the fan while the dryer is running make the area safer? (i'm thinking of carbon monoxide?)

Steve

If its an exhaust fan that is the opposite you would want in a combustion zone. If anything it should pull air into the room while the dryer is running to make up for the air used by the dryer for combustion.

jtrammel, thanks. I never thought of that.

Well it is definitely exhaust, and very weak at that.

Looking briefly on the google, the dryer is 20k btu. The room is 729 cubic feet----using 20 btu/c feet, is only 14500 btu. The door to the room has a cut out of about 2 inches, is this enough room for makeup air?

Steve

The fan may be there simply because someone along the line thought it would be a good idea, but without specifics it is hard to even guess.

Is this a new house you had built? Is the room tiny with no windows? Does the room have a door and is it louvered or solid? Is there anything else in the room other than the washer and dryer? Has it always been a laundry room? The list goes on and on.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

firecontrol, we bought the house 2 years ago, built in 1995.

9ftx9ftx9ft room. Nothing else, besides shelves, laundry sink. Solid door, with 2 inch cutout below.

I guess i'm not too worried, unless you are, given that it has seemed fine for 17 years.

Steve

It could have been insisted on by the original owner because they air dried clothes in there or maybe they used a lot of bleach and didn't want to be overcome by fumes.

From this distance and the information given I can think of no reason to be concerned with it being there.

I would suggest leaving the door open when running the dryer though as a 2" undercut on the door is potentially not a sufficient amount of air for the dryer to efficiently dry your clothes. Easy check would be to run the dryer and then very slowly swing the door towards the closed position..... it it acts like it's being pulled closed when it gets close to latching, there possibly isn't enough air getting into the room for the dryer to easily exhaust itself and dry your clothes as quick as it could.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.