Thread: Attic ductwork

Attic ductwork

Hi: I'm trying to size a new upflow heater to existing non insulated sheetmetal system in attic. The old heater was removed from storm Sandy. I used a online calulater and got 49000 BTUS. There was no consideration for attic ductwork.
    Its only a 1000sf house and owner does'nt want to insulate ducts. Anyone know the addition heat loss from above ducts.
    thanks...

As much as 70% loss/gain, especially if its the return duct. Don't forget the ducts will sweat in hot attic this summer time.
    As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another Proverbs 27:17 NIV84

Are you sure the duct work in the attic isn't insulated. it my be that its just the sheet metal in the utility room isn't insulated.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The owner may not want the duct insulated but that makes him wrong as you would be if you do the install that way.

might want to check your local codes . ductwork run in an unconditioned space isnt up to code around here.

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye52 View Post
    Hi: I'm trying to size a new upflow heater to existing non insulated sheetmetal system in attic. The old heater was removed from storm Sandy. I used a online calulater and got 49000 BTUS. There was no consideration for attic ductwork.
    Its only a 1000sf house and owner does'nt want to insulate ducts. Anyone know the addition heat loss from above ducts.
    thanks...
    If he doesn't want to insulate, then he better be spray foaming the roof line.

Otherwise you have a lawsuit when the drywall repair/mold abatement issues come about.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

I'd turn the job down if he doesn't want to do it right. Do you really want to oversize the furnace to accommodate uninsulated ductwork?

sounds like the owner is not understanding why ducts are insulated.
    do you really want to do a job where occupants will never be comfortable?
    high utility bills, dripping ducts & no comfort?
    there will be alot of call backs on this kind of job.

have to agree with ron:
    The owner may not want the duct insulated but that makes him wrong as you would be if you do the install that way.

I'd walk away if I couldn't get the homeowner to understand.

are you sure the duct isn't internally insulated??

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato