+ Reply to Thread

Thread: advice

Post Likes

Hmm advice

I work as a "building engineer" at a commercial property and it is a good job, good pay, good benefits. My only problem is that it seems like any time there is a big project, or even not so big, we tend to contract it out. I like working with my hands and learning new stuff, I graduated from an HVAC trade school 3 years ago and got this job. I fear I will loose what HVAC knowledge I have left if I stay here another year. Not a lot breaks down here, plus almost zero refrigeration work here. But like I said great job, very relaxed, great people and pay. I really want to find a job in Colorado as a service tech.. Does anyone have info about the HVAC job market in Colorado? I know I will take a pay cut if I go from building maintenance to service but I am afraid I will loose more knowledge if I stay. What do you think?

Post Likes
    In my experience building maintenance pays less for all the reasons you just stated.

Post Likes
    Very true, just not a place for someone who wants to learn and explore to get stuck at. Still 20/hr to listen to the chiller hum for 8 hours isn't bad pay, but do you believe service techs make more than building maint.?

Post Likes
    I've never done it but lets say a good tech in my area makes more typically. The guys working on the stuff they won't let you touch should I'm my mind

Post Likes
    It's crazy I had the same situation about*4 years ago. I decided to leave and I never looked back. Best decision I ever made. I am working crazy hours now and loose sleep for work, the money is great. Truth is if you have energy and want to learn more I would go... If you leave on a good note maybe you can eventually bid for the contract to do there work.

Post Likes
    A job in service might pay less at first since you won't have experience. After a few years experience in service you will be able to make the company money so they will pay you very nicely. When you make money for a company they should compensate you for it. If not there are plenty of other companies that will hire you.

Watching a chiller hum all day is not going to advance your career. The most important thing is to grow in your field and be compensated for it which is why servicing HVAC/R equipment is a much better field to work in.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in