Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Corny, I don't know how you feel about Vitamins, I used to think they were just worthless, and billions were spent by clueless people. I finally gave in, and sat down and spent numerous hrs doing some research on my own, most of my research was done on vitamin D3, because in my research the effects of it caught my biggest skeptical attention. Long story short, I saw were a "Doctor" and his wife had been taking 5,000 IU of Vitamin D3 for like 20 years and had never been sick, I chuckled but I said, this stuff is cheap, so I will buy me some of the most quality ones I can find online and check it out. I have been taking the 5000 IU a day for about a little over a month now and everyone one in my family has the crud bad, I mean bed ridden bad, kids...grand kids...son in law...etc and I have been around all of them during the Holidays. I did get a very, very mild case of what they had, lasted about 2 days, and was mostly just a few sniffles, but nothing at all like the way they suffered, not even close, today I feel good, and they all are doing a lot better but still in the recovery mode. The Government recommended dose is 100 to 300 IU's a day "of course" they don't want us well that's not good for all the Doc's and big pharma, but I am living proof that something is happening in my body, that is doing something, I use to could just look at someone with a cold and get the crud. If you are a skeptic on vitamins, just do a little research on D3, and they also have a few awesome YouTube videos that will blow your mind. Today I take just a regular Multivitamin like Centrum along with my 5000 IU of D3 everyday, that's all, not no handful of many different ones, just two. I have never felt better in my life, and could kick myself for being so stubborn, I don't know how what I am doing will effect anyone else, I can only tell you what these two vitamins have done for me, I call it at the very least a miracle.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

A quick check of the local emergency rooms and "doc in the boxes" will tell you there is an epidemic of several upper respirator infections going around but unfortunately most are viral--not bacterial hence antibiotics would not work. By all means go to your MD but be prepared to be told all you can do is treat the symptoms, maintain hydration and ride it out.

Meanwhile, everyone should talk to their bosses about immediate measures to cut down on infection spread. First is frequent handwashing. Hold a class and have every member pretend to be scrubbing their hands with soap and water with good scrubbing and agitation for 10 seconds--it will seem like an eternity but it is THE single most effective means of preventing spread of a disease. Daily, wipe down all door knobs, office phones, pens and pencils, coffee pot, fridge door handle, copy machine contact points, water cooler, etc. with a 10% hypochlorite soln (1 part cheap bleach to 9 parts plain water). This will kill just about anything. Note that certain disinfectants such as Lysol use quaternary ammonium salts that can take 10-30 min. to kill goobers. Spraying the toilet seat with Lysol right before you sit won't do much to protect your buttocks from catching skin infections like staph. Aureus.

If anyone who is sick is coughing a lot they really need to consider staying home if possible. If not, consider wearing a mask to protect everyone else from droplet infection.

Supportive therapy includes hydration with plain water (avoid sugary sodas and energy drinks as they are diuretic and make you pee), rest as often as possible, acetaminophen for headache and fever (Tylenol), cough suppressants hopefully only at home when not driving, guaifenesin expectorant, zinc and vitamin C, and decongestants for sinus headaches only (pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine). Learn these ingredients and don't take stuff you don't need. Antihistamines are for allergies first but can be used as hypnotics for sleep aid (chlorpheniramine maleate is Chlor-Trimeton/ diphenhydramine HCL is Benadryl and Sominex, and doxylamine succinate as found in Nyquil. Do not combine these antihistamine/ sleep aids and never with alcohol. Most cough suppressant use dextromethorphan which is a central nervous system depressant so again no driving or booze. Certain drugs interact and can jack your system up so I strongly recommend you ask your pharmacist and tell him everything you take, both prescription and OTC.

Feel better Corny!

Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    Still sick...... cough has changed.....and now Im back to where I cant get warm anymore..... Laid down today with a coat on and a blanket over me..... thought about climbing into the car and putting the heater on "roast"....and just spending the night out there.

Aint been to the doc .... hope this will all be over this weekend as it has already destroyed my plans for 2 weekends and several days off.

I cant take cough syrup.... cant get that spoon in my mouth without gagging... Only cough syrup I have ever been able to take is that under the counter stuff you got to sign for and I feel like a criminal or something requesting it......so I dont.
    In case you are not familiar with it, pneumonia is when you start coughing up from deep in your chest. It can make you as weak as a kitten. Not just a bad cold that one could think it is, as you can go to work and feel like you are just being lazy because you are so tired. But it is much more serious than that. Sort of a cold, basically, but unlike a cold where you can just 'tough' it out a pneumonia can kill if it gets really worse. The last time I had pneumonia, I didn't even know I had it until the coughing struck me but I had not felt good for at least a week earlier. I did not even have typical cold symptoms.

Not diagnosing, just offering my experience. In any case I hope you get well soon Corny.

When I go to bed at night I take a swig of SC and swich it around my mouth, and swallow it. I do the same in the morning, I cant remember the last time I had the flu or a cold. Its simple, alcohol kills germs. I'm also a fanatic about washing my hands frequently.

Btw, I'm not a drinker.

Roy
    "The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

Quote Originally Posted by royc View Post
    When I go to bed at night I take a swig of SC and swich it around my mouth, and swallow it. I do the same in the morning, I cant remember the last time I had the flu or a cold. Its simple, alcohol kills germs. I'm also a fanatic about washing my hands frequently.

Btw, I'm not a drinker.

Roy
    Im not a drinker either..... because when I am guns and the cops usually show up......and I or someone else usually ends up in the hospital.

Yes...many times over the years Ive thought about some Jim Beam....a little water and some sugar...... just a couple of sips.....

Corny cough syrup......
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

It really hit all over town. I felt the first twinge of what was to come and I turned up the furnace a few degrees, kept myself hydrated, and alternated between spending time in bed and in a hot bath. Nipped it in the bud so to speak and mainly lost two days with it trying to make a recurring appearance a few days later which I also spent resting. Mind you I had the time off and I did not have any commitments that I needed to fill so I had the opertunity to take care of myself. Since starting work in a hospital I find we catch everything and it pays to listen to your body.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Tonight makes two weeks for me being sick with what seems to be a nasty, slow moving head and chest cold. From what I am hearing, most people who have caught this bug are staying sick for at least 2-3 weeks. I have it on good authority that the Obama administration set this bug loose on us to get more support for Obamacare....I'm just saying....
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

I've got it too. Symptoms started last Wednesday morning & got worse from there.
    Oh- guess where I was when I was sick?
    MAUI!
    Didn't feel like doing a thing. Laid around the pool catching rays (83 & hot) & read 3 books on my Kindle.
    By Saturday- had to go to Doctor in Maui at the Hilton. What a life this guy has- retired, comes in when he has patients in his golf cart.
    They loaded me up on perscription Codene cough syrup, Benzonatate 100 mg for cough, and Azithromycin 250 mg.
    Getting better but definately not 100%. Doc also gave me a couple bags of throat lozenges. Never heard of them- called Fishermans Friend. Holy crap- those are strong!! More concentrated than any cough drop I've ever had. Al the ABC stores in Maui have them so I loaded up on them & brought them home. Did a rooftop package unit changeout today & man- I'm dragging after that!!!!
    My voice sounds like an old smoker- my chest is killing me from all the coughing.

I've been sick since Christmas night. Went to dr that Thursday and was diagnosed with pneumonia, sinusitis, double ear infection and the flu. Needless to say the last week has been brutal but I'm finally feeling a bit better, if I could just get rid of the cough I'd be good. Lucky me had 4 vacation days that I got to use up before the end of the year spent in bed on the brink of death.

its not that bad.....only lasted 3 weeks for me...... thought i barfed my lungs out a few times.....
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

When I get up in the morning I have to sit on the edge of the bed and just cough for what seems an eternity. This morning when I got to work I was burning up but as the day went on I started freezing again..... didnt feel like eating tonight.... my neck and shoulders and side and even my lower back muscles are aching where I have coughed so much.

My throat has quit burning though..... for the first week it felt like my throat and inner ear were being ripped apart every time I swallowed.

I can take that codeine cough syrup.....cause it only takes a little and its not as nasty tasting as regular cough syrup..... but around here you have to request and sign for it at the pharmacy..... and Im too embarrased to ask for it. Feel like a criminal doing so..... because around here there have been so many stories of people getting addicted to it and making trips to pharmacys all thru the area buying it.

We had a cop here who was so addicted to it that they caught him driving to a town 40 miles away to purchase it because he was using the local pharmacys so much that he had reached his limit at them and couldnt buy anymore.

Here's some light reading for those who are down with this cold;
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

M O O N, that spells bad cough....

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast