+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: How to make sense of the choices? Thread split off.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    You need to take that up with Carrier.
    Some Lennox and Goodman models do this also. Haven't seen any Rheem/Ruud units do this. It seems the Carriers we're discussing in this tread seem to cause more service calls than most. Perhaps the blower capacity is marginal compared to BTU output of the furnace, any extra static pressure causes the furnace to kick off on high limit. 70k BTU burners with a 800cfm drive (070-08/024070) is pushing it IMHO. I don't know why these are even installed in Oklahoma houses, a house that can be cooled with 2 tons of AC (based on 800CFM, the maximum capacity of the 070-08's blower) doesn't need 70,000BTU of heat.

Post Likes
    54, I sent you an email to the one that's in your profile, guess it went into your spam box.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    54, I sent you an email to the one that's in your profile, guess it went into your spam box.
    I looked through my junk folder, didn't see an email from you.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    Is the one in your profile a good address?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Some Lennox and Goodman models do this also. Haven't seen any Rheem/Ruud units do this. It seems the Carriers we're discussing in this tread seem to cause more service calls than most. Perhaps the blower capacity is marginal compared to BTU output of the furnace, any extra static pressure causes the furnace to kick off on high limit. 70k BTU burners with a 800cfm drive (070-08/024070) is pushing it IMHO. I don't know why these are even installed in Oklahoma houses, a house that can be cooled with 2 tons of AC (based on 800CFM, the maximum capacity of the 070-08's blower) doesn't need 70,000BTU of heat.
    I worked for Goodman for a decade. What model?
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    You need to take that up with Carrier.
    I wasn't a fan of the way Carrier did things when I was a Carrier dealer. I have no need whatsoever to take anything up with Carrier. Carrier offered me a job a few years back when I was working for Goodman. When I turned them down because the pay they were offering sucked compared to what Goodman was paying me, the technical manager for Carrier was absolutely astonished that I was turning down Carrier to stay working for Goodman. Unbelievable....
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    When the limit resets, the thermostat is re-energized. So when the home owner comes home, the thermostat will have its display again.

Heck, lots of customers think its a thermostat problem when the thermostat does have a display.
    So why is reg54 having so much trouble with the t-stats the energy company he works for installs? Shouldn't the same thing apply?
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Kind of off subject, but what's the purpose of the power co installing a tstat in customers home. Can the power co control it and turn off their ac during peak hours and the customer gets $ off their bill or is it just for the "energy savings" of using a programmable stat for setbacks?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    So why is reg54 having so much trouble with the t-stats the energy company he works for installs? Shouldn't the same thing apply?
    Hard to say why anyone has more trouble with something then others have.

I use Honeywell.

And as you know, lots of companies around our area break teh red to the stat when they use a float switch in the econdary pan, and kill the power to the stat. Those stats don't have problems either.

Post Likes

I use Honeywell.

And as you know, lots of companies around our area break teh red to the stat when they use a float switch in the econdary pan, and kill the power to the stat. Those stats don't have problems either.
    I didn't even think about those who break the red wire with overflow switches. I guess that's because I keep trying to get them to stop doing that...
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    I worked for Goodman for a decade. What model?
    I don't see too many Goodmans doing this and didn't get the model number of the last one. It was an older induced draft unit, probably from the 90's.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Kind of off subject, but what's the purpose of the power co installing a tstat in customers home. Can the power co control it and turn off their ac during peak hours and the customer gets $ off their bill or is it just for the "energy savings" of using a programmable stat for setbacks?
    The thermostat has a demand response feature that works in conjunction with variable peak power pricing program. The idea is the temperature will automatically adjust according to the customers preferences when energy prices increase during the 2-7pm time period June 1 - Sept 30. The customer always has final control of the thermostat and can overide at any time. If the customer overides, they just pay for the extra energy used. The Smarthours program is 100% voluntary as so is the thermostat.

Post Likes
    We have over 30,000 thermostats installed in our service area. Not that many give problems, although it seems that way when we get slammed with service calls after a cold snap.

Post Likes

I use Honeywell.

The customer is still hot either way, it's just the thermostat that is provided to us goes blank when power is interrupted instead of showing everything is OK. Yes, we run a lot of blank stat calls in the summer for tripped overflow switches. If the overflow is set to just break power to the condenser the thermostat stays on. Customers that don't know if they have a unit or thermostat problem call us first since it's a free service call. If it's the thermostat we fix it for free, if it's the unit they call their HVAC company.

Post Likes
    I didn't even think about those who break the red wire with overflow switches. I guess that's because I keep trying to get them to stop doing that...
    We just break one of the condenser wires, so the customer can still have a fan to circulate the air, but either way as long as the system is not continuing to condensate your ok.

I have a simple fix without bypassing anthing on the board but 54 is not getting my mails, or his profile email is not good, or maybe he don't want to know.

Post Likes
    Is the one in your profile a good address?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I get my notifications there, so it has to be a good address. Try resending the email.

Post Likes
    Try resending the email.
    10/4

Post Likes
    10/4

Got the email,you should have a reply.

Post Likes
    I hate when techs do that too. Just need to break the Y to the condenser.

Post Likes
    I hate when techs do that too. Just need to break the Y to the condenser.
    Some of the microswitches for some overflow switches are not designed to handle the entire load of the system, and so create low voltage issues that are sometimes difficult to trace for those who are not looking to the switch and wiring as being the issue. All of the switches will handle the outdoor contactor circuit.
    Training is important!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in