+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: How to make sense of the choices? Thread split off.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    This is all indicative of an improperly sized duct system, air blockage such as dirty filter or coil, loss of blower capacity etc. None of this has anything to do with the furnace being oversized.
    Fair enough, the furnace isn't necessarily oversized for the house, just the duct system. That of course is if it doesn't have any of the other possible issues you mentioned.

Post Likes
    I see a yellow line...... lol
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    You know it's one thing to want to learn the trade, and just humble yourself and sit back and watch and listen, but when your argument is not fact, and you don't just stop for a moment to research something before you post, you not going to appear to be the brightest bulb in the house. It's like me going on a TV repair forum and and telling all the pro's there how a TV works or is wired.
    Fair Enough

Post Likes
    oh my.....
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    Please help me understand on the path to the 24V power to the thermostat. I've highlighted what I'm seeing on the power path, what am I missing? If LS1 were to open, how does it tell the CPU to go into "high limit" mode? The 24V powered thermostats definitely go blank and 24V to the thermostat back plate is gone when the burners go off on high limit and the "33 code" shows up. The blower continues to run while the 33 code is being displayed. Once the furnace cools back off the power is restored to the thermostat. I'd like to get to the bottom of this since I see a lot of them.
    Attachment 341891
    That would be DIY training which is not allowed.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    That would be DIY training which is not allowed.
    Do you really think I'm doing these thermostats as some sort of DIY project?

Post Likes
    Do you really think I'm doing these thermostats as some sort of DIY project?
    I never said anything about your installation of thermostats, just that you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to furnace operations. What is the model number of one of the furnaces that schematic you posted is from?
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    The power is not cut to the thermostat when a high limit switch opens. I've never seen a furnace that cuts the power to the thermostat when a high limit circuit has opened. Follow the power from the transformer in order to understand what that circuit is doing.
    On a Lennox G8, which uses the honeywell/trade line fan&limit combo.
    The primary side of the transformer is wire to the "limit" side of the fan switch, which opens of temp rise, but keeps blower running.
    Therefore, when the limit setting is reached, the whole 24v control circuit is dead.... Gas valve and t-stat.
    Many old furnaces use this configuration.

Post Likes
    I never said anything about your installation of thermostats, just that you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to furnace operations. What is the model number of one of the furnaces that schematic you posted is from?
    It's from a carrier.

Post Likes
    The York D1NA048N09006C gas pack breaks power to the R terminal when the limit, aux. limit, or rollout opens.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by syndicated View Post
    On a Lennox G8, which uses the honeywell/trade line fan&limit combo.
    The primary side of the transformer is wire to the "limit" side of the fan switch, which opens of temp rise, but keeps blower running.
    Therefore, when the limit setting is reached, the whole 24v control circuit is dead.... Gas valve and t-stat.
    Many old furnaces use this configuration.
    I know what old furnaces use, but there aren't that many furnaces out there that are that old any longer. We are discussing current systems and why oversizing new furnaces is a problem.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    It's from a carrier.
    I got that. Which Carrier model? This does not seem to be a very popular board.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coopbro View Post
    The York D1NA048N09006C gas pack breaks power to the R terminal when the limit, aux. limit, or rollout opens.
    We are discussing new residential furnaces. If we were discussing cars, we would not be concerned with having to deal with crank starters, now would we?
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    The York D1NA048N09006C gas pack breaks power to the R terminal when the limit, aux. limit, or rollout opens.Name:  York D1NA.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  60.9 KB

Post Likes
    I have already mentioned it once, if you don't want the stat to cut out during an open limit on that particular board, wire it to the red on the secondary side of the transformer on the primary side of the limits, there is no danger since the gas valve is protected by a high limit, jeeeezzz! how simple!
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    The 24V powered thermostats definitely go blank and 24V to the thermostat back plate is gone when the burners go off on high limit.
    Ok maybe a stupid question here, but why would anyone sell or even buy "today" a stat that is dependent on the system transformer to power it? that is really old school. I sell the Honeywell 5000....6000 and all of them use batteries, stat never goes blank, well unless the batteries run down.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Ok maybe a stupid question here, but why would anyone sell or even buy "today" a stat that is dependent on the system transformer to power it? that is really old school. I sell the Honeywell 5000....6000 and all of them use batteries, stat never goes blank, well unless the batteries run down.
    Because old people and dumb people forget that there is batteries in the stat. Then I get no heat calls at 2am to change batteries.
    Always connect "C"!

Post Likes
    Because old people and dumb people forget that there is batteries in the stat. Then I get no heat calls at 2am to change batteries.
    Always connect "C"!
    You don't like making money from service calls or having reasons to go to your customer's homes for potential upsells?
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    You don't like making money from service calls or having reasons to go to your customer's homes for potential upsells?
    Changing batteries on a 3 year old system because our installers failed to explain there were batteries, or the customer forgot at 2am is not a good opportunity for "up-selling".
    I don't make commission and make plenty of money of legitimate repairs during regular time.

Man, you are an extraordinarily frustrating person.

Post Likes
    Man, you are an extraordinarily frustrating person.
    Only if you let him be, he don't frustrate me at all, matter fact I wished I knew half of what he knows about this business, I could be setting on a beach in Tahiti, drinking margaritas with all the girls on the beach....ask Robin, I am like a chick magnet, and a pretty darn good dancer to, even at 61.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in