Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My installer friend came an installed my Trane TUY080R9V3W today. He works for a reputable HVAC company here locally, but does some work on the side. He is an installer, not a technician. The problem we encountered today was that the fan would not actuate when there was a call for it. The burners seemed to work properly in stage 1 & stage 2...pressures checked out. The only problem (and seemingly a big one) is that the blower fan would not come on. The board "clicked" several times in what appeared to be a call for the fan, but no luck. Eventually the unit shuts down. Any ideas? My installer seemed to think that the fan was getting "juice" as he put his multimeter on the connector, and got a 123 reading. This unit was purchased from somoene in VA who purchased an upflow, and really needed a downflow. Unit is definitely new. Installer friend is getting a technician friend to check it out, but I wanted to have some possibilities available to discuss with him when he arrived. Your thoughts?

if you are getting power on the motor and nothing out(i say if,cause i ain't there to see it)....bad motor(it happens),but we can not offer any DIY advice,for obvious reasons........let us know what the service tech finds....best of luck

One of the reasons to go thru a reputable company for your work is that they have people to take care of such problems. Your "friend" is stealing from his employer by competing against him after hours. Every contractor I have ever been involved with would fire him if they found out. Sorry, but I gotta say "serves you right!" Hopefully his tech "friend" will have enough integrity or fear for his job to say NO! Also, if down the road you have an insurance claim, how will you answer their questions about permits, inspections, and licensed installer?

[Edited by hankmcneil on 12-02-2006 at 06:19 PM]
    GOD knows if you did your best! <><

Originally posted by hankmcneil
    One of the reasons to go thru a reputable company for your work is that they have people to take care of such problems. Your "friend" is stealing from his employer by competing against him after hours. Every contractor I have ever been involved with would fire him if they found out. Sorry, but I gotta say "serves you right!" Hopefully his tech "friend" will have enough integrity or fear for his job to say NO! Also, if down the road you have an insurance claim, how will you answer their questions about permits, inspections, and licensed installer?
    hankmcneil, I hope you never let an auto mechanic, plumber, electrician, cook, house cleaner, lawn guy, computer guy, or anyone else that works for someone else period! do "any" work for you on the side, because you would deserve what you get because they would be stealing from there employer, what a selfish and childish way to look at it, this is a "Free" Country last time I looked and what someone does on there "own" time does not necessary mean they are "stealing" from a dam person, and I bet if "you" could not afford to have something fixed through a large Company because of your budget, your type would be the first one to call someone out that works for someone else to help you out, if not I guess you would just freeze to death ha?

Kind of sad you would even put God's name in your sig. line along with a post like yours maybe you need to read your Bible a little more on why were "all" here, it's to help out your fellow man is what my Bible says.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

By the way just for the record, I would always suggest that "if" you can always go through a reputable company when doing "any" business period with anyone that's a given. It just gets me steamed because of the way some folks pop off and say what hankmcneil said there are still some folks out there yes even in this Country that can hardly afford rent and groceries and have to depend on folks that are in certain trades to maybe help them out own their "own" time, and I have a real passion for these people especially when you have seen it personally a little Grandma die in her home because the service tech came out and left her cold because she needed a $35.00 part hope that tech is sleeping well tonight, and if you ever see this as I have witnessed once in my life your attitude will soften a little unless you have ice water in your veins. Yes if the HO has a bundle of cash and he is just trying to be tight A$$ yes he might deserve what he gets but when someone just can't down right afford it and if this is the case, for someone to say they deserve what they get that is out right cold blooded. And for the record "unless" your boss had the job to begin with you ain't stole anything period from him were I come from.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

If your installer friend has a tech coming to fix it, then let the service tech do it with out interference with suggestions from you, given from ideas from here.

You could hold him up having him check things that are not related to your current problem.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

quote:"My installer seemed to think that the fan was getting "juice" as he put his multimeter on the connector, and got a 123 reading. This unit was purchased from somoene in VA who purchased an upflow, and really needed a downflow. Unit is definitely new. Installer friend is getting a technician friend to check it out, but I wanted to have some possibilities available to discuss with him when he arrived. Your thoughts?
    Tell your installer to measure the voltage across the input to the fan motor and if he still gets 120V then, look for a wrong sized or faulty capacitor.

i believe this is a v= drive blower and it may turn out to be a loose connection some where and the tech will know what to do
    if it turns out to be a bad motor or control be prepared to spend a lot of money for the repair

120 volts will not tell much if this is in fact a varitable speed blower

The TUY has an ECM motor. These are a little more complicated to diagnose. A well trained tech is needed to determine if in the main board, motor module or motor itself. Only thing someone not trained could do is look for loose connections.

Originally posted by mrbillpro

hankmcneil, I hope you never let an auto mechanic, plumber, electrician, cook, house cleaner, lawn guy, computer guy, or anyone else that works for someone else period! do "any" work for you on the side, because you would deserve what you get because they would be stealing from there employer, what a selfish and childish way to look at it, this is a "Free" Country last time I looked and what someone does on there "own" time does not necessary mean they are "stealing" from a dam person, and I bet if "you" could not afford to have something fixed through a large Company because of your budget, your type would be the first one to call someone out that works for someone else to help you out, if not I guess you would just freeze to death ha?

Kind of sad you would even put God's name in your sig. line along with a post like yours maybe you need to read your Bible a little more on why were "all" here, it's to help out your fellow man is what my Bible says.
    I would never ask a professional to perform his profession for me in such a manner as to circumvent(sp) his employer and CHEAT his employer out of his/her fair profit for the employees work. When you accept a job from someone who has time, money, and risk involved in a business, you make a commitment to use your talents to further the cause of your employer in exchange for their providing you with a living. To undercut their business is just wrong and a cause for dismissal from employment that even your state unemployement would recognize!

The Bible says many things! It also talks about commitment to ones employeer.

amsugg said in his original post, "does some work on the side. He is an installer, not a technician." this was not a first time thing, and unfortionaly it caught up on amsugg. What will he do now? He might have an expensive boat anchor. Can he get warrenty? And what if, God forbid, the manufacturer messed up this unit and it starts a fire? His insurance won't cover anything. There are reasons for business licenses and professional licenses!

Meanwhile, amsugg's house is cold.
    GOD knows if you did your best! <><

I can see this thread headed for the ARP section, Yea I am sorry I guess Jesus would have just walked on by and left this guy cold.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hankmcneil
    [B]
    [i]Originally posted by mrbillpro [/i

I would never ask a professional to perform his profession for me in such a manner as to circumvent(sp) his employer and CHEAT his employer out of his/her fair profit for the employees work. When you accept a job from someone who has time, money, and risk involved in a business, you make a commitment to use your talents to further the cause of your employer in exchange for their providing you with a living. To undercut their business is just wrong and a cause for dismissal from employment that even your state unemployement would recognize!

================================================== ================================================== ============
    ===================
    amsugg said in his original post, "does some work on the side. He is an installer, not a technician." this was not a first time thing, and unfortionaly it caught up on amsugg. What will he do now? He might have an expensive boat anchor. Can he get warrenty? And what if, God forbid, the manufacturer messed up this unit and it starts a fire? His insurance won't cover anything. There are reasons for business licenses and professional licenses!

Meanwhile, amsugg's house is cold.

this has to be the most selfserving bs i have ever hear
    the installer did a job for someone for what ever reason only he know. One thing that is a fact is his boss was never going to get a chance to do this job because the ho had no intensions of asking any company to do it.
    I for one hope he charged enough to make it worth his while and didnt give it away.

You sir are hiding behind some realy high stardarts because there isnt anyone i know that hasnt asked someone for help instead of just calling and paying. This goes for just about anything from mopping a floor to running a cable wire to a tv.

When you accept a job from someone who has time, money, and risk involved in a business, you make a commitment to use your talents to further the cause of your employer in exchange for their providing you with a living. To undercut their business is just wrong.
    Is this in Hanks book of business ethics because I have never seen this anywhere unless maybe you signed a contract with your employer like this below, read number 5. IMHO no contract you can do what you on your own time and if your employer has issues with you doing side work he should have you sign a contract like or similar to this "before" hiring you and they that would clear all the smoke about side work.

EMPLOYMENT AGREEMENT

Employment Agreement, between __________________________ (the "Company") and ______________________________ (the "Employee").

1. For good consideration, the Company employs the Employee on the following terms and conditions.

2. Term of Employment. Subject to the provisions for termination set forth below this agreement will begin on __________, 20____, unless sooner terminated.

3. Salary. The Company shall pay Employee a salary of $_______ per year, for the services of the Employee, payable at regular payroll periods.

4. Duties and Position. the Company hires the Employee in the capacity of ________________________. the Employee's duties may be reasonably modified at the Company's discretion from time to time.

5. Employee to Devote Full Time to Company. the Employee will devote full time, attention, and energies to the business of the Company, and, during this employment, will not engage in any other business activity, regardless of whether such activity is pursued for profit, gain, or other pecuniary advantage. Employee is not prohibited from making personal investments in any other businesses provided those investments do not require active involvement in the operation of said companies.

6. Confidentiality of Proprietary Information. Employee agrees, during or after the term of this employment, not to reveal confidential information, or trade secrets to any person, firm, corporation, or entity. Should Employee reveal or threaten to reveal this information, the Company shall be entitled to an injunction restraining the Employee from disclosing same, or from rendering any services to any entity to whom said information has been or is threatened to be disclosed, the right to secure an injunction is not exclusive, and the Company may pursue any other remedies it has against the Employee for a breach or threatened breach of this condition, including the recovery of damages from the Employee.

7. Reimbursement of Expenses. The Employee may incur reasonable expenses for furthering the Company's business, including expenses for entertainment, travel, and similar items. The Company shall reimburse Employee for all business expenses after the Employee presents an itemized account of expenditures, pursuant to Company policy.

8. Vacation. The Employee shall be entitled to a yearly vacation of _____ weeks at full pay.

9. Disability. In the event that the Employee cannot perform the duties because of illness or incapacity for a period of more than _____ weeks, the compensation otherwise due during said illness or incapacity will be reduced by _________________ ( ___ percent) . The Employee's full compensation will be reinstated upon return to work. However, if the Employee is absent from work for any reason for a continuous period of over _____ months, the Company may terminate the Employee's employment, and the Company's obligations under this agreement will cease on that date.

10. Termination of Agreement. Without cause, the Company may terminate this agreement at any time upon ____ days' written notice to the Employee. If the Company requests, the Employee will continue to perform his/her duties and may be paid his/her regular salary up to the date of termination. In addition, the Company will pay the Employee on the date of the termination a severance allowance of $_____________ less taxes and Social Security required to be withheld, without cause, the Employee may terminate employment upon ______ days' written notice to the Company. Employee may be required to perform his or her duties and will be paid the regular salary to date of termination but shall not receive severance allowance. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in this agreement, the Company may terminate the Employee's employment upon ______ days' notice to the Employee should any of the following events occur:

(a) The sale of substantially all of the Company's assets to a single purchaser or group of associated purchasers; or

(b) The sale, exchange, or other disposition, in one transaction of the majority of the Company's outstanding corporate shares; or

(c) The Company's decision to terminate its business and liquidate its assets;

(d) The merger or consolidation of the Company with another company.

(e) Bankruptcy or chapter 11 reorganization.

11. Death Benefit. Should Employee die during the term of employment, the Company shall pay to Employee's estate any compensation due through the end of the month in which death occurred.

12. Restriction on Post Employment Compensation. For a period of _________________ ( ____ ) years after the end of employment, the Employee shall not control, consult to or be employed by any business similar to that conducted by the company, either by soliciting any of its accounts or by operating within Employer's general trading area.

13. Assistance in Litigation. Employee shall upon reasonable notice, furnish such information and proper assistance to the Company as it may reasonably require in connection with any litigation in which it is, or may become, a party either during or after employment.

14. Effect of Prior Agreements. This Agreement supersedes any prior agreement between the Company or any predecessor of the Company and the Employee, except that this agreement shall not affect or operate to reduce any benefit or compensation inuring to the Employee of a kind elsewhere provided and not expressly provided in this agreement.

15. Settlement by Arbitration. Any claim or controversy that arises out of or relates to this agreement, or the breach of it, shall be settled by arbitration in accordance with the rules of the American Arbitration Association. Judgment upon the award rendered may be entered in any court with jurisdiction.

16. Limited Effect of Waiver by Company. Should Company waive breach of any provision of this agreement by the Employee, that waiver will not operate or be construed as a waiver of further breach by the Employee.

17. Severability. If, for any reason, any provision of this agreement is held invalid, all other provisions of this agreement shall remain in effect. If this agreement is held invalid or cannot be enforced, then to the full extent permitted by law any prior agreement between the Company (or any predecessor thereof) and the Employee shall be deemed reinstated as if this agreement had not been executed.

18. Assumption of Agreement by Company's Successors and Assignees. The Company's rights and obligations under this agreement will inure to the benefit and be binding upon the Company's successors and assignees.

19. Oral Modifications Not Binding. This instrument is the entire agreement of the Company and the Employee. Oral changes have no effect. It may be altered only by a written agreement signed by the party against whom enforcement of any waiver, change, modification, extension, or discharge is sought.

Signed this_____ day of _____________________ 20____.

______________________________ ____________________________
    Company Employee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast