Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused

My neighbor's A/C unit runs when their furnace turns on. I told them last winter that is was running when it was cold at night. They said they would call someone to fix it. All they did was shut the circuit breaker off, because you could hear it click all winter long.

Now it is running again. When the steam comes out of the chimney the A/C unit runs and stops when the steam stops.

It going to be 2 degrees tonight. Will it stop or break? And think about this a $500 gas bill and a $500 electric bill!

A/C running when the Furnace is?

That sounds like a short in the thermostat control wiring or someone has the wires hooked up on the same sending line for the heat control side. You have 2, 24 volt wires running from Condenser A/C unit to the Furnace unit usually. One is a temp control and the other is a ground. If you have the control wire from the condenser hooked up to the sending for heat line. They both could run. *Usually.
    because of a demand call from the thermostat. This COULD be the problem. I'm not saying I'm for sure.

hey wait a minute

if they have the breaker off to the condenser A/C unit and there's no electricity to it. Then it shouldn't run at all.
    Either they donot have the correct breaker Off, or there's a wiring problem there.

Are you sure they have A/C and not heatpump with gas backup?

They'll destroy the compressor before the winter is over. Not to mention have a big gas & electric bill!

Wink

even if it is a dual fuel system the heatpump and furnace shouldnt be on at the same time with the exception of defrost;}
    heattech

If it hasnt worked properly since you serviced it last then why did it take the customer 2 years to complain??

Re: A/C running when the Furnace is?

Originally posted by woodheat
    [B . One is a temp control and the other is a GROUND.
    [/B]
    I did not know a 24 v xfrmr had a "ground".

Common, yes, a 24v side, yes.

Is the terminology somewhat lacking?

Re: Re: A/C running when the Furnace is?

Originally posted by hvaclover
    Originally posted by woodheat
    [B . One is a temp control and the other is a GROUND.
    I did not know a 24 v xfrmr had a "ground".

Common, yes, a 24v side, yes.

Is the terminology somewhat lacking? [/B]

all lennox furnaces "ground" the common side of the transformer, sure there has to be others that do to.

Originally posted by heattech
    even if it is a dual fuel system the heatpump and furnace shouldnt be on at the same time with the exception of defrost;}
    OP is clueless of that fact, for all we know it could be water-heater, or fireplace. Just because "steam comes out of the chimney" not always equal furnace is running.

It's still trying to start. You can hear the compressor trying to start for about 10 seconds, then the sound stops and just the fan is running.

My electrical service goes to same post as my neighbors and my lights dim a little like a motor is trying to start.

And besides I though a heat pump is only good to about 40 degrees, not 2 degrees. It has been below freezing the last 5 days.

Some run a heat pump all the way down to 0 degrees.
    At any rate, it sounds as though that compressor may have finally slugged itself to death

I just hear a click. No more fan sound or compressor trying to start for 10 seconds. Maybe they shut the circuit breaker off or it's tripped.

I'll tell you if/when there's a new unit on the outside.

It could also be that they have a heat pump thermostat or a thermostat set for heat pump.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast