Question about aux heat in basement system

I have a quick question regarding our basement system.

The thermostat for our basement system is wanting to run the auxiliary heat every time we run the temperature up 1 degree. Is this normal? Could it be the thermostat? We have been wondering since our electric bills have been higher than this time last year. Thank you in advance.

Check the AUX HEAT range setting options in the thermostat manual.

DON'T USE SET-BACKS ( or VERY rarely).
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post brand and model number of thermostat. Were you operating the thermostat the same way last year at this time.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Most stats do, especially Honeywell. That's why it is best with a pump to leave the same temp constantly. Or let the stat change the temp, it will TRY to limit backup but often can't.

Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    Check the AUX HEAT range setting options in the thermostat manual.

DON'T USE SET-BACKS ( or VERY rarely).
    Thanks. Unfortunately, we lost the manual several years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Post brand and model number of thermostat. Were you operating the thermostat the same way last year at this time.
    The thermostat is a Trane XT500C. We did operate it the same way last year at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Most stats do, especially Honeywell. That's why it is best with a pump to leave the same temp constantly. Or let the stat change the temp, it will TRY to limit backup but often can't.
    Thanks for the info. We don't know how to program the thermostat because the manual is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by 545GAlady View Post
    Thanks for the info. We don't know how to program the thermostat because the manual is missing.
    http://homeappliance.manualsonline.c...l?idRes=395950
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Thanks. I was looking for the manual yesterday and I actually found it in one of my bookshelves! I have a program on my other two thermostats and I will make a program very soon for this thermostat. Thanks for all the advice!