Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

High moisture in house with TRANEs XL19 - please HELP

Hi everybody,

Need help from some real pro in Trane units. I live in Orlando area and tried 3 local hvac companies already - with no solution found.
    The problem is that moisture in house is sometimes over 70% (summer of course). Even now (end of December it is around 45-50).
    House has 3 XL19i units. Thermostat have option to control humidity but it isn't working (i think it is not wired).
    When units are on humidity is going down. But units are powerful so they do not work for a long time to keep needed temperature. And when they stop working humidity is growing very fast.
    One guy came and said that Trane units do not need wiring, they need some jumpers changed to fight moisture. He did it - nothing changed.
    Second guy came and said that proper wiring should be made from thermostats to units so that TS can control humidity. Then he left to check how to do it and still is looking..
    Third guy came and said that these units can not do anything for moisture and i need to understand why moisture is so high and fight things causing it but failed to find any himself.
    So - if any of you DO know these Trane units - please help me! I will give any additional information if needed.
    Thank you and Merry Chistmas and best wished to you guys in coming 2013!
    Regards,
    Kir

You need a trane tstat with dehumidify on demand feature and wired accordingly. The unit/s are oversized is the reason it's not removing enough moisture. Look into a whole house dehumidifier and/or have a home energy audit done on your house to find where the humidity is coming from. www.comfortinstitute.org and www.bpi.org for more info.

Post your location, and the full model numbers of the outdoor and indoor units.

Do any of your systems have a fresh air intake, or do you have a HRV.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The unit/s are oversized is the reason it's not removing enough moisture.
    ditto
    knowing info asked about model numbers will help with advice.
    Op is in Orlando Florida.

sometimes in addition to the correct t/stat & wireing lowerng fan speed
    will slow air flow so that unit can remove more humidity.

best of luck
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

I wonder if they are wired for 2 stage. The 19i is a 2 stage unit and should be paired with a Variable speed blower to work correctly. Even oversized I would think that they would run on low speed long enough to remove moisture.

The blower may be set to Comfort-R so the blower runs after the A/C shuts off, this could re-evaporate condensate from the drain pan. A humidistat can be hooked to these unit to slow the blower down 20% when the humidity is to high, which will remove more moisture and give a longer run time.

These would be the second issues I would persue, the first being is it properly charged and functioning correctly.

Guys, thank you so much for such fast answers especially at this Christmas day
    In order not to make mistakes i made images of units' data and will place it below (hope i can do it here).
    I tried to make them as lighter as possible.
    Location - Orlando, Florida (so yes, humidity is high here).
    Inside units' labels:
    Name:  inside 1.JPG
Views: 97
Size:  129.5 KBName:  inside 2.JPG
Views: 86
Size:  145.5 KBName:  inside 3.JPG
Views: 88
Size:  135.5 KB

Outside units' labels:
    Name:  out 1.JPG
Views: 91
Size:  141.5 KBName:  out 2.JPG
Size:  143.5 KBName:  out 3.JPG
Views: 83
Size:  151.5 KBName:  out view.JPG
Views: 81
Size:  150.5 KB

Filters units in each inside unit:
    Name:  filter.JPG
Views: 87
Size:  151.5 KB

And thermostats (showing ability to control humidity which is not wired i think as i do not work)
    Name:  ts 1.JPG
Size:  129.5 KBName:  ts 2.JPG
Views: 83
Size:  127.5 KB

Just want to add that during those 3 services units were fully charged, cleaned and serviced (two times
    Thanks again!!!
    Kir

You do understand they don't dehumidify in heat correct?

With that said you have enough capacity for roughly 10 000 sq ft!

A.C capacity will likely handle about 9,000 square feet,
    plus the coils are a bit over-sized for the condensing units.

Turn the air flow down to 350 CFM/ ton.

WHO selected the A/C sizes and when?

_ This situation appears to be a Long Term issue.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Guys, the house is close to 6000 sq. f

To SBcold
    Thanks for answer - sure, the problem is not so big now (winter and units are heating). Summer is when humidity is very high inside.

To Dan Sw
    Thanks for answer - Can i turn flow down myself? I am really tired of local companies coming and can not do anything...
    I got this house in March, i think the builder selected the units when building this one for first owners in 2006-2007.

10.5 tons on 2006 construction. Wow, oversized a lot.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirka777 View Post
    Guys, the house is close to 6000 sq. f

To SBcold
    Thanks for answer - sure, the problem is not so big now (winter and units are heating). Summer is when humidity is very high inside.

To Dan Sw
    Thanks for answer - Can i turn flow down myself? I am really tired of local companies coming and can not do anything...
    I got this house in March, i think the builder selected the units when building this one for first owners in 2006-2007.
    Yes, if you KNOW controllers and have the correct manual.

The units should be running in FIRST (low) stage nearly all the time.
    You need to check operation when it's > 90'F outside.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Im look for some where to go for vacation. to get away from this cold and snow. all you would have to do is pay for my plane tic. let me stay there and we could get it all looked at. O by the way my wife and son would have to be part of the deal. LOL. sounds to me that you are over sized and need some one to adjust everything right or even put in smaller units. you can look into a hole house dehumidifier. I would look and make sure you do not have mold in the house.

All of them should be running in 1st stage all of the time. 6yr old house with 10.5 tons of ac is outrageous. You will most likely have to invest in a whole house dehumidifier to maintain acceptable humidity levels in the summer. Check out ultra-Aire or Santa Fe dehumidifiers. Even on 1st stage the units are likely 1.5 times the capacity needed for 6ksqft in Florida. 10.5 tons is enough for 10-15ksqft of a tight new construction home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast