Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    I think that would be extremely unlikely. If you found the right boss, maybe. With the responsibility that comes along with doing refer work, I think most would be hesitant to do that.
    If the OP goes into restaurant reefer, with the employer aware he is green, it shouldn't be any more difficult than a green resi guy.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

OP, Do you have any hvac experience at all or are you a student?

You could ask the guys at the parts house, they might be able to point you towards a company that would likely hire you.

Trying to break into refer work with some HVAC experience. Did mainly PM's for Safeway. Would like to break into refer work full time. Working apt maintenance right now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

You might have a fair chance of getting hired. Do you work well under pressure? Think fast on your feet?

I will probably start slow and pick it up. Mainly started as a PM guy, would like to make it service full time.

What would be the best way to start?

Dive into the pro's refrigeration section and learn all you can. Tell prospective employers you want to learn, eager to learn, and will do what you need to do to make it happen. Patience is key in doing the work. Devising a troubleshooting system comes with time. No real substitute though for standing in front of a machine that's full of product that's dead in the water and the owner saying "How much longer? Am I going to lose all of my product?"

Dive into the pro's refrigeration section and learn all you can. Tell prospective employers you want to learn, eager to learn, and will do what you need to do to make it happen. Patience is key in doing the work. Devising a troubleshooting system comes with time. No real substitute though for standing in front of a machine that's full of product that's dead in the water and the owner saying "How much longer? Am I going to lose all of my product?"
    Or climbing into a nasty chef base drawer cooler saying to yourself, "why didn't i stick with A/C?" lol

Quote Originally Posted by KB Cool View Post
    Or climbing into a nasty chef base drawer cooler saying to yourself, "why didn't i stick with A/C?" lol
    Have that conversation with myself still from time to time.

Those are the conversations I have with myself are usually in a -15 freezer.

That was the only reefer experience I've had, had to change a fan blade in a freezer, does that suck. I kept thinking I was going to get locked in like in the movies!

When you're standing in a cage on a forklift and the fans from all the other evaporators are still running while you're working on the bad one during the summer on the day after you took you took your bibs out to wash them but neglected to put them back in the van because, well it's summertime and who wears bibs in the summertime?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast