+ Reply to Thread

Thread: outdoor coil frosting

Post Likes

outdoor coil frosting

while performing heat check upon arriving at heat pump the coil was frosted in sections and the distributor lines were frosted upto liquid line port. pressure was lower that normal. again check is in heat mode. charged unit with 2 lbs of 410a. pressures were up but still had some frosting on liquid line. did i not charge enough or could there be other issues such as a restriction in txv or drier?

Post Likes
    What is outdoor temp and humidity?

Sent from my ERIS using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by magac View Post
    ..did i not charge enough or could there be other issues such as a restriction in txv or drier?
    Yeah...but you got to provide more info than that for anybody to make an educated guess. Both pressures, SH and SC if possible, ID and OD temps.

Post Likes
    What jd said.

Mine was frosting quickly this AM as was mid 30s F and 99% humidity (PNW) - them there BTUs gotta come from someplace, if you look at a psychrometric chart for humidity and temp frost may be what should be expected.

Here in PNW on HPs with a timer on the defrost the entire outdoor coil is often solid frost 1/2" thick before defrost kicks in.

Your 'frosting on liquid line' could indicate a stuck reversing valve? Never have seen a liquid line with frost in this climate.

Post Likes
    Build big bon fire around unit and it will keep the thing from freezing to death

Post Likes
    with the information provided cant really help ya. Could be installer did not install correctly... Did you check filter or coil (AHU) to see if they were dirty.... Possible txv issue but I doubt it or it would have been iced up badly or completely shut down on you. More info needed when you need help like that or like dgussler says....Build yourself a fire..... Wont get too much help unless you provide info....
    Sir Ace says, Don't hate the breed, just the breeder!
    Supports Wounded Warrior Project
    Army Vet

Post Likes
    If it's running in heat mode and it's somewhat cold outside. That is generally what a heat pump does when it runs. It's starts icing up the outdoor coil. That is why it has a defrost mode. To melt the ice that accumulates on it while it is running. Now if you have 3 inches of ice on the coil and the fan can't turn anymore because there's so much ice, then you probably have a problem.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in