Thread: 13 SEER air handler with a 10 SEER condenser

Post Likes

13 SEER air handler with a 10 SEER condenser

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could email me the article as well. I'm just a homeowner who is trying to learn as much about this as possible because my home warranty company is planning to replace my home's original air handler (York Model G+HC030AA from 1987 which uses R22) with a new 13 SEER Payne air handler (not sure of the specific model yet) which uses R410A. I have a two-fold concern with their plan of leaving the 10 SEER York compressor (Model E4FD030S06A) in place because of 13/10 SEER mismatch as well as the R22/R410A mismatch. I realize this thread is about the 13/10 mismatch article, but in addition to that help any advice you can give me about how to handle the concerns I also have with R22/R410A mismatch with the service company and home warranty company is appreciated.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ctharr View Post
    I would greatly appreciate it if someone could email me the article as well. I'm just a homeowner who is trying to learn as much about this as possible because my home warranty company is planning to replace my home's original air handler (York Model G+HC030AA from 1987 which uses R22) with a new 13 SEER Payne air handler (not sure of the specific model yet) which uses R410A. I have a two-fold concern with their plan of leaving the 10 SEER York compressor (Model E4FD030S06A) in place because of 13/10 SEER mismatch as well as the R22/R410A mismatch. I realize this thread is about the 13/10 mismatch article, but in addition to that help any advice you can give me about how to handle the concerns I also have with R22/R410A mismatch with the service company and home warranty company is appreciated.
    I wouldn't worry about it.

The 13 + 10 = 8 is related to a high seer outdoor, and a low seer indoor.

You have the opposite. A high seer indoor, with a low seer outdoor.
    Granted, coils technically don't have a "seer" rating.

Alot of manufacturers make their units to handle both refrigerants, even though the model shows as a "r410" unit. The only thing that would be required would be to change the orfice to the correct size, or in this case, I would suggest using a TXV (thermostatic expansion device) since it may be difficult to find the correct size orfice.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Moved to AOP residential.

Post Likes
    If the Payne air handler has a 410 TXV, you cannot put it on a 22 outdoor unit. They would need to replace the TXV to one that is for 22 and make sure the outdoor unit had a hard start kit of not a scroll compressor. Knowing York on a 10 SEER, it likely is a recip.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in