Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: halliburton kbr

can anyone tell me of their experiences of working in iraq or afganistan,thanks

purchase your own flak jacket

or bullet proff vest, tak lots of socks, spare toilet paper, and reading material, at any time an sand storm can end your day or days and there you sit, also you dont get that OT pay unless you work everyday, and just one day your off due to weather then there it goes,
    keep in mind how your going to clean coils without any water, cause ther isnt any, alot of the work is rip out and replace units, and then going to bone yards to strip parts to fix other units, take several sun hats,
    remember ther ISNT AN CONVIENCE STORE UP THE STREET, so what you take is all you got, and have large foot locker/tool box that you can lock up, many things there just walks away, sand ants are a *****, take your own insect repellant, and you have to be prepared for winter conditions at night but during the day its desert heat, that is till April or May then its just hot and hotter,
    take an back pack water bottle, camel back, or any of the back pack style, you will use it every day.
    lastly be really prepared to use the SHELTERS, cause at any time your cmp area can tak motor or sniper fire, lastly you walk every where, they dont have jeeps for your tranport, and possibly taking militry ride make you an target for bombs, bullets,
    buy your self kahaki's or light brown clothes, tak nothing blue, green or any other colors, you want to blend in with the background environment. take only white underwear.
    thats about it .
    If you cant cool it
    HEAT THE Hello out of it

thanks for the info,how long did you work there,i'm considering trying it

I was there for 8 months with the navy and worked w/ KBR once in while. They get 88,000-128,000 per year. They get 30 days of leave. If they take 30 days or less than the money is tax free. If they take 31+ days then its taxed at 28%. You could live in a tent, small 2 man trailer(8'x10'), or possibly one of Saddam's palaces. You eat at the army's dfas(dining facility) and it's better than a Ryan's or Golden Corral. You can put on some weight if you're not careful. Most places have a nice gym with hours for contractors. There is a store called a PX and usually have what you need. The weather during the summer reaches about 130 in the shade(no joke, 130F). At night it'll drop down to around 70's which feels freezing. Winter gets every bad weather but snow. It's just miserable. You work 60-80hrs per week and are on call a lot of times. The majority of units are the mini split duct free systems and also a couple big units(I didn't get to see what size they are). They do a lot of change outs because KBR has so much money they just change out a unit then rather wait a week because they don't have the parts. Their is an element of danger but much of it is overated. KBR sends almost all of its guys to areas where they'll be safe. In one camp I was at, they had us lock up our weapons(we usually keep them on us at all times, even in the bathroom). The real danger is being on a convoy and if you need to go to some remote outpost then the Army will put you on a helo and fly you over there. Getting a job really depends on if you have a top secret clearance or not. Every construction tradesmanI talked to had one previously. It's a great job if you're young and single. If you're married, get a divorce before you go to save you the trouble when you get back. Good luck.

Originally posted by tpstjka
    thanks for the info,how long did you work there,i'm considering trying it
    Drop me an email, it's in my profile.
    About July, I might be looking for a few techs to go there.

Tell me what base you where on Gear Junkie? I've been there and about to return and your info has alot of holes in it.

I was at Anaconda and Balad. I'm in the Seabees and the KBR guys would often come to our side and get parts from us since we were getting supplies faster than they were(at the time). Don't ask how. They would also give us any technical support. We often asked about employment and that's where my information is coming from. I never saw an employment service agreement so exact details may be a little off. I welcome any questions you might have because I would hate for someone to get the wrong idea about KBR and Iraq. If you have better information, I welcome you to put it out so all the readers can get an accurate idea about KBR.

I worked with KBR at TQ and Al Asad. Most of my time was at TQ which was a Marine air base. Living conditions where poor, living in 10 man tents, public showers and the defac's where in large tents. There was regular motar and rocket fire at the base. I've heard them come over and witnessed people getting hit. I respect everyone that goes over and help in the way they can. We had few tools and no replacement parts, the boneyard was our supply house. What ever we had to do we keep the equipment running. Between us, the Marines and the National Gaurd we keep things operating. Trading and borrowing was a everyday thing. The guys at TQ where jealous of Al Asad and all they had, parts, equipment, tools and the Defac's. It made me a better tech and I will be returning to do it again. My advise for the discussion creator is carry your own tool bag and arrive in the winter so he can adjust to the extreme heat.

Sounds like a royal PIA. I would probably have a heart attack from the anxiety and stress of not having the proper materials or tools for the repairs needed. I like things to go smoothly or I get all pissed off.
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

The cool thing is that you can do everything with nothing. Now when I'm at work and the other tech's say it can't be done the boss sends me out.

I know you made some good money, Tqbeach, but it sounds like you went through hell to get it. The KBR guys in Balad were staying in one of saddam's palace and had every American convience(except liquor and women). At Anaconda, they were staying in two man trailers and GP medium tent. It all depends where you get posted at. I hope when you go back, things are better for you. Keep your head down and your ears open(so you can hear mortar rounds).

I may be getting too....

old for the excitement. I have had a similar sunny and warm vacation with the Army but the humidity was a problem there. What is the median age of the people working there? I'm recently widowed so it may be the challange I'm looking for.Best Regards

My foreman was in his late 50's and a plumber in his 60's. They will check you out and see if you are healthy enough.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast