Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    50

    DOWN FIRING A BOILOER

    LOL! ... I wasn't drinking when I wrote that title either! Speed typing with two fingers has it's down side


    I dont know as I am ready to put everything I know on the subject out there but I am bringing it up because I am seeing this practice more and more over the last few years up north. I would like to hear your opinions and views on the subject.
    I understand that there is a vast wealth of theory and opinion to be had on the subject and I would be glad to elaborate my views but for now... let me hear your story.

    I have to scoot and will be back later. hope this is a thread that will be worth reading when it hits it's end.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    68,119
    Been done for a long long time here.

    If down fired too much, they will use more oil.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Been done for a long long time here.

    If down fired too much, they will use more oil.
    That is a given but I am looking for some opinion based on experience and theory. A discussion with merit in other words.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    68,119
    Ok. Down firing to save oil works. Have to give consideration to boiler piping gain on many older systems. If you don't, you be under fired and use more oil. Also need to double check what retention head a Beckket burner has to make sure you can set the burner up properly for the new firing rate. Too large of a head, and you won't get good combustion. It will have a high CO.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Altmar, New York, United States
    Posts
    4,653
    before you do this you need to determine, as close as possible, the exact btu's needed. and if it has an indirect, make sure it has priority option. as been said, do not go less than the burner is rated.many variables are on the table when you do this. have you applied for pro yet? it would make this alot easier on us.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    68,119
    Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    before you do this you need to determine, as close as possible, the exact btu's needed. and if it has an indirect, make sure it has priority option. as been said, do not go less than the burner is rated.many variables are on the table when you do this. have you applied for pro yet? it would make this alot easier on us.
    Yeah, specially since we have a Pro Oil Burner forum.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    before you do this you need to determine, as close as possible, the exact btu's needed. and if it has an indirect, make sure it has priority option. as been said, do not go less than the burner is rated.many variables are on the table when you do this. have you applied for pro yet? it would make this alot easier on us.
    Been awhile waiting on the Pro upgrade. Guess everyone is out working.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Yeah, specially since we have a Pro Oil Burner forum.
    Yeah....So I have heard. Still waiting

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Caledonia WI
    Posts
    881
    Not only do you have to make sure burner is set up for the lower firing rate (end cone and static plate) but the combustion chamber is sized correctly (This can be a pita in units with just a target wall or no liner at all) and flow through heat exchanger controlled (sometimes smaller venting or baffling). And this is only on the firing side not to mention the heat transfer side.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post

    If down fired too much, they will use more oil.


    Care to expand on this?
    If you have proper combustion and less heat going up the chimney how could you use more oil.
    "The only way in which a human being can make some approach to knowing the whole of a subject is by hearing what can be said about it by persons of every variety of opinion and studying all modes in which it it can be looked at by every character of mind.
    No wise man ever acquired his wisdom in any mode but this."
    John Stuart Mill

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    68,119
    Quote Originally Posted by tlj000 View Post
    Care to expand on this?
    If you have proper combustion and less heat going up the chimney how could you use more oil.
    A burner burning 1 GPH running 24/7 uses 24 gallons. A burner burning 1.5 GPH running 14 hours only burns 21 gallons in that same 24 hour period. At 1 GPH if the burner never shuts off but just maintains the set temp, it uses more oil. At 1.25 GPH, it may only run 16 hours, and then it would only be using 20 gallons in that same 24 hour period. Its a fine line between just right, and too little.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    68,119
    Quote Originally Posted by butternut View Post
    Been awhile waiting on the Pro upgrade. Guess everyone is out working.
    Seems there is no info on you applying. Send it in again.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    A burner burning 1 GPH running 24/7 uses 24 gallons. A burner burning 1.5 GPH running 14 hours only burns 21 gallons in that same 24 hour period. At 1 GPH if the burner never shuts off but just maintains the set temp, it uses more oil. At 1.25 GPH, it may only run 16 hours, and then it would only be using 20 gallons in that same 24 hour period. Its a fine line between just right, and too little.
    I’m missing something here.

    Let just say the burner is 100% efficient.
    If the load requires 1gph running 24 hrs. that would be 3,336,000BTU/24hrs
    Your examples of nozzle and run times and gallons don’t add up to this.
    I would also hope that by decreasing the nozzle size you would increase efficiency by lowering the stack temp.



    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 74
Size:  28.6 KB
    "The only way in which a human being can make some approach to knowing the whole of a subject is by hearing what can be said about it by persons of every variety of opinion and studying all modes in which it it can be looked at by every character of mind.
    No wise man ever acquired his wisdom in any mode but this."
    John Stuart Mill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event